Jul 7, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
As it turns out, that’s not the case at all. Instead, the Blues opting to use this option to get the 27-year-old signed makes sense for everyone involved as Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch shared.
As Rutherford lays it out, the Blues will be paying Sobotka at least $1.4 million next season (the CBA mandates this as it was what he made in the final year of his deal) as this brand of arbitration (there are two types) isn’t meant to lower his salary.
In the Avs’ case with O’Reilly, they are trying to knock down what they’ll pay him next year. Just that difference is enough to keep the acrimony down between St. Louis and Sobotka.
Much like when a player opts to go to arbitration with a team, the Blues are trying to guarantee a resolution by early August when hearings wrap up. This ensures no time at training camp or in the regular season is missed over a contract dispute. However, since the team took Sobotka to arbitration, he can choose whether he gets a one or two-year deal from the reward.
It’s a cover-your-butt move by the Blues and GM Doug Armstrong because they don’t want to run the risk of either losing Sobotka on an offer sheet or having a dispute go long-term. Chances are both sides get a deal worked out before ever heading to court, but in the end it’s not as dire of a situation as you might believe.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)