Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s arrival in Dallas has brought something to Texas that hasn’t been around in some time: Dreams of winning the Stanley Cup.
Today, Spezza met with Dallas media for the first time and he’s excited for what they’ve got going on there as Steve Hunt of NHL.com shared.
“I’m just a piece to the puzzle,” Spezza said. “You have to be willing to be that in order to win in this League. I think it’s a great fit, and to have the young group and some of the young stars they have, you don’t see that very often and you hope to kind of grow with the group.”
The puzzle they’re working with in Dallas is an impressive one.
The Stars already had Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin locked into place and they added Spezza’s Ottawa Senators teammate Ales Hemsky via free agency. Throw in last season’s rookie sensation Valeri Nichushkin as well as veterans like Shawn Horcoff, Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, and Rich Peverley and you’ve got a group that’s got equal part young talent and veteran know-how. Peverley and Cole’s Stanley Cup-winning past doesn’t hurt either.
The Stars were viewed as one of the teams that “won” the summer with the moves they’ve made. If their crew of young defense, all of which GM Jim Nill loves, can come together and Kari Lehtonen repeats his success of last season, the Stars will be a dangerous team.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)