Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s arrival in Dallas has brought something to Texas that hasn’t been around in some time: Dreams of winning the Stanley Cup.
Today, Spezza met with Dallas media for the first time and he’s excited for what they’ve got going on there as Steve Hunt of NHL.com shared.
“I’m just a piece to the puzzle,” Spezza said. “You have to be willing to be that in order to win in this League. I think it’s a great fit, and to have the young group and some of the young stars they have, you don’t see that very often and you hope to kind of grow with the group.”
The puzzle they’re working with in Dallas is an impressive one.
The Stars already had Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin locked into place and they added Spezza’s Ottawa Senators teammate Ales Hemsky via free agency. Throw in last season’s rookie sensation Valeri Nichushkin as well as veterans like Shawn Horcoff, Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, and Rich Peverley and you’ve got a group that’s got equal part young talent and veteran know-how. Peverley and Cole’s Stanley Cup-winning past doesn’t hurt either.
The Stars were viewed as one of the teams that “won” the summer with the moves they’ve made. If their crew of young defense, all of which GM Jim Nill loves, can come together and Kari Lehtonen repeats his success of last season, the Stars will be a dangerous team.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)