Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Jason Spezza‘s arrival in Dallas has brought something to Texas that hasn’t been around in some time: Dreams of winning the Stanley Cup.
Today, Spezza met with Dallas media for the first time and he’s excited for what they’ve got going on there as Steve Hunt of NHL.com shared.
“I’m just a piece to the puzzle,” Spezza said. “You have to be willing to be that in order to win in this League. I think it’s a great fit, and to have the young group and some of the young stars they have, you don’t see that very often and you hope to kind of grow with the group.”
The puzzle they’re working with in Dallas is an impressive one.
The Stars already had Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin locked into place and they added Spezza’s Ottawa Senators teammate Ales Hemsky via free agency. Throw in last season’s rookie sensation Valeri Nichushkin as well as veterans like Shawn Horcoff, Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, and Rich Peverley and you’ve got a group that’s got equal part young talent and veteran know-how. Peverley and Cole’s Stanley Cup-winning past doesn’t hurt either.
The Stars were viewed as one of the teams that “won” the summer with the moves they’ve made. If their crew of young defense, all of which GM Jim Nill loves, can come together and Kari Lehtonen repeats his success of last season, the Stars will be a dangerous team.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 11
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 28
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11