Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s arrival in Dallas has brought something to Texas that hasn’t been around in some time: Dreams of winning the Stanley Cup.
Today, Spezza met with Dallas media for the first time and he’s excited for what they’ve got going on there as Steve Hunt of NHL.com shared.
“I’m just a piece to the puzzle,” Spezza said. “You have to be willing to be that in order to win in this League. I think it’s a great fit, and to have the young group and some of the young stars they have, you don’t see that very often and you hope to kind of grow with the group.”
The puzzle they’re working with in Dallas is an impressive one.
The Stars already had Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin locked into place and they added Spezza’s Ottawa Senators teammate Ales Hemsky via free agency. Throw in last season’s rookie sensation Valeri Nichushkin as well as veterans like Shawn Horcoff, Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, and Rich Peverley and you’ve got a group that’s got equal part young talent and veteran know-how. Peverley and Cole’s Stanley Cup-winning past doesn’t hurt either.
The Stars were viewed as one of the teams that “won” the summer with the moves they’ve made. If their crew of young defense, all of which GM Jim Nill loves, can come together and Kari Lehtonen repeats his success of last season, the Stars will be a dangerous team.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)