Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Jason Spezza‘s arrival in Dallas has brought something to Texas that hasn’t been around in some time: Dreams of winning the Stanley Cup.
Today, Spezza met with Dallas media for the first time and he’s excited for what they’ve got going on there as Steve Hunt of NHL.com shared.
“I’m just a piece to the puzzle,” Spezza said. “You have to be willing to be that in order to win in this League. I think it’s a great fit, and to have the young group and some of the young stars they have, you don’t see that very often and you hope to kind of grow with the group.”
The puzzle they’re working with in Dallas is an impressive one.
The Stars already had Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin locked into place and they added Spezza’s Ottawa Senators teammate Ales Hemsky via free agency. Throw in last season’s rookie sensation Valeri Nichushkin as well as veterans like Shawn Horcoff, Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, and Rich Peverley and you’ve got a group that’s got equal part young talent and veteran know-how. Peverley and Cole’s Stanley Cup-winning past doesn’t hurt either.
The Stars were viewed as one of the teams that “won” the summer with the moves they’ve made. If their crew of young defense, all of which GM Jim Nill loves, can come together and Kari Lehtonen repeats his success of last season, the Stars will be a dangerous team.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)