Jul 7, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Tommy Wingels had a breakout season with the San Jose Sharks last year and he’s reportedly going to be rewarded for it.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com report Wingels has agreed to a three-year deal with the Sharks. Wingels is coming off a two-year contract that paid $1.55 million and he’ll be due for a raise.
UPDATE (7/7/14 12:05 p.m. ET): A raise is just what he got. Kevin Kurz at CSNBayArea.com reports it’s a three-year, $7.4 million deal.
Wingels, 26, had 16 goals and 38 points in 77 games last season — all of which were career-highs. With the Sharks in need of added scoring depth, he stepped up in a big way and was also a clutch player for them leading the team with seven game-winning goals.
Wingels found some chemistry with Patrick Marleau last season which likely helped boost his offensive numbers. With the Sharks opting to hold steady with their roster for the most part, Wingels is set up to pick up where he left off.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)