Jul 7, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Tommy Wingels had a breakout season with the San Jose Sharks last year and he’s reportedly going to be rewarded for it.
Our friends at CSNBayArea.com report Wingels has agreed to a three-year deal with the Sharks. Wingels is coming off a two-year contract that paid $1.55 million and he’ll be due for a raise.
UPDATE (7/7/14 12:05 p.m. ET): A raise is just what he got. Kevin Kurz at CSNBayArea.com reports it’s a three-year, $7.4 million deal.
Wingels, 26, had 16 goals and 38 points in 77 games last season — all of which were career-highs. With the Sharks in need of added scoring depth, he stepped up in a big way and was also a clutch player for them leading the team with seven game-winning goals.
Wingels found some chemistry with Patrick Marleau last season which likely helped boost his offensive numbers. With the Sharks opting to hold steady with their roster for the most part, Wingels is set up to pick up where he left off.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)