Jul 7, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators announced GM Bryan Murray has been diagnosed with cancer.
In a statement released by the team, the organization said Murray will begin treatment immediately and that his treatment schedule will force him to be away from his duties with the team periodically. Assistant GMs Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will fill in for Murray during those absences.
Murray was named GM of the Senators in June of 2007 and has held the position since then. He’s been a coach and GM in the NHL since the early 1980s with the Washington Capitals, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Florida Panthers, and Detroit Red Wings before landing in Ottawa.
Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery for one of hockey’s outstanding noted figures.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)