Jul 7, 2014, 1:09 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators announced GM Bryan Murray has been diagnosed with cancer.
In a statement released by the team, the organization said Murray will begin treatment immediately and that his treatment schedule will force him to be away from his duties with the team periodically. Assistant GMs Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will fill in for Murray during those absences.
Murray was named GM of the Senators in June of 2007 and has held the position since then. He’s been a coach and GM in the NHL since the early 1980s with the Washington Capitals, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Florida Panthers, and Detroit Red Wings before landing in Ottawa.
Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery for one of hockey’s outstanding noted figures.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)