Jul 7, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators announced GM Bryan Murray has been diagnosed with cancer.
In a statement released by the team, the organization said Murray will begin treatment immediately and that his treatment schedule will force him to be away from his duties with the team periodically. Assistant GMs Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will fill in for Murray during those absences.
Murray was named GM of the Senators in June of 2007 and has held the position since then. He’s been a coach and GM in the NHL since the early 1980s with the Washington Capitals, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Florida Panthers, and Detroit Red Wings before landing in Ottawa.
Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery for one of hockey’s outstanding noted figures.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 0
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 31
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21