Jul 7, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators announced GM Bryan Murray has been diagnosed with cancer.
In a statement released by the team, the organization said Murray will begin treatment immediately and that his treatment schedule will force him to be away from his duties with the team periodically. Assistant GMs Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will fill in for Murray during those absences.
Murray was named GM of the Senators in June of 2007 and has held the position since then. He’s been a coach and GM in the NHL since the early 1980s with the Washington Capitals, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Florida Panthers, and Detroit Red Wings before landing in Ottawa.
Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery for one of hockey’s outstanding noted figures.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25