Jul 7, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have added some experience on the blueline, inking former Sens and Devils rearguard Anton Volchenkov to a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Anton provides a strong veteran presence that will complement our young, talented defensive corps nicely,” Preds GM Poile said in a statement. “He is a physical, left-handed shooting defenseman who can match up with top-line forwards and effectively kill penalties.”
Volchenkov, 32, hit free agency on June 30 when the Devils elected to use a compliance buyout on the final two years of his six-year, $25.5 million deal. The move freed New Jersey from his $4.25 million cap hit, but Volchenkov will still get $1.4 million per year in salary until 2018 — possibly why he signed in Nashville for such a (reasonably) low rate.
While the Russian rearguard does boast a wealth of experience, he saw his ice time plummet last season (he averaged the lowest TOI of any Devils defenseman) and has missed extensive time over the last two years with a myriad of injuries. He actually hasn’t averaged more than 20 minutes a night since his last year in Ottawa (2009-10), whne he finished 18th in Norris voting.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)