Jul 7, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have added some experience on the blueline, inking former Sens and Devils rearguard Anton Volchenkov to a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Anton provides a strong veteran presence that will complement our young, talented defensive corps nicely,” Preds GM Poile said in a statement. “He is a physical, left-handed shooting defenseman who can match up with top-line forwards and effectively kill penalties.”
Volchenkov, 32, hit free agency on June 30 when the Devils elected to use a compliance buyout on the final two years of his six-year, $25.5 million deal. The move freed New Jersey from his $4.25 million cap hit, but Volchenkov will still get $1.4 million per year in salary until 2018 — possibly why he signed in Nashville for such a (reasonably) low rate.
While the Russian rearguard does boast a wealth of experience, he saw his ice time plummet last season (he averaged the lowest TOI of any Devils defenseman) and has missed extensive time over the last two years with a myriad of injuries. He actually hasn’t averaged more than 20 minutes a night since his last year in Ottawa (2009-10), whne he finished 18th in Norris voting.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)