Jul 7, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Turns out it wasn’t a happy moment for him. In an interview with ITAR-TASS in Russia (translated by Russian Machine Never Breaks), Ovechkin gives his thoughts on Grabovski’s departure as well as the Capitals signing Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen.
On Grabovski leaving, Ovechkin kept it short saying, “Of course I am upset about Mikhail Grabovski. We had a close relationship.”
“That our team signed such guys [as Niskanen and Orpik] – that’s a very strong move,” Ovechkin said. “Orpik, for example, is a very physical defenseman. If he plays on your team – it’s a positive for you. But the results will be at the end of the season, it hasn’t even started yet. Who knows what other changes are coming to the team– maybe there will be a trade or something else.”
Maybe there will be or maybe they won’t, but keeping Ovechkin feeling good helps the Caps out. Losing Grabovski certainly hurts, especially when they don’t have someone to take his place at the moment.
It should make for a fascinating camp with Ovechkin losing a friend and gaining a new GM in Brian MacLellan and coach Barry Trotz, the latter of whom may present the biggest test for him.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)