Jul 7, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are keeping their blue line intact for at least one more year.
Petry, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent next summer because of his age and it being just a one-year contract. Last season, he had seven goals and 17 points in 80 games and led the team in hits and blocked shots.
It may be a short stay for Petry in Edmonton. A one-year contract and the ability to become an unrestricted free agent makes him a prime target to be moved by the trade deadline next season.
While the Oilers defense hasn’t been great in recent years, they added Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne, and Keith Aulie in free agency this summer and have young players like Martin Marincin and Darnell Nurse aiming for prime time with the team. That means Petry’s future could see him on another roster even before free agency hits next summer.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)