Jul 7, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers are keeping their blue line intact for at least one more year.
Petry, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent next summer because of his age and it being just a one-year contract. Last season, he had seven goals and 17 points in 80 games and led the team in hits and blocked shots.
It may be a short stay for Petry in Edmonton. A one-year contract and the ability to become an unrestricted free agent makes him a prime target to be moved by the trade deadline next season.
While the Oilers defense hasn’t been great in recent years, they added Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne, and Keith Aulie in free agency this summer and have young players like Martin Marincin and Darnell Nurse aiming for prime time with the team. That means Petry’s future could see him on another roster even before free agency hits next summer.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)