Jul 7, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are keeping their blue line intact for at least one more year.
Petry, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent next summer because of his age and it being just a one-year contract. Last season, he had seven goals and 17 points in 80 games and led the team in hits and blocked shots.
It may be a short stay for Petry in Edmonton. A one-year contract and the ability to become an unrestricted free agent makes him a prime target to be moved by the trade deadline next season.
While the Oilers defense hasn’t been great in recent years, they added Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne, and Keith Aulie in free agency this summer and have young players like Martin Marincin and Darnell Nurse aiming for prime time with the team. That means Petry’s future could see him on another roster even before free agency hits next summer.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40