Jul 7, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers are keeping their blue line intact for at least one more year.
Petry, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent next summer because of his age and it being just a one-year contract. Last season, he had seven goals and 17 points in 80 games and led the team in hits and blocked shots.
It may be a short stay for Petry in Edmonton. A one-year contract and the ability to become an unrestricted free agent makes him a prime target to be moved by the trade deadline next season.
While the Oilers defense hasn’t been great in recent years, they added Nikita Nikitin, Mark Fayne, and Keith Aulie in free agency this summer and have young players like Martin Marincin and Darnell Nurse aiming for prime time with the team. That means Petry’s future could see him on another roster even before free agency hits next summer.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)