Jul 7, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were one of the busiest teams this summer and after the success they had last season, fans there are getting a bit excited.
The Lightning re-signed Ryan Callahan, added Brian Boyle, Anton Stralman, and Evgeni Nabokov in free agency and traded for Jason Garrison. Throw prospect Jonathan Drouin into that mix and you’ve got a potentially loaded team. Just don’t tell coach Jon Cooper about that.
Cooper would like everyone to just take a breath and not get too excited as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shared.
“I’ve never seen a team, on paper, win the Stanley Cup,” Cooper said.
“We have to have the same work ethic we had last year, and I’m sure people are going to look at us with a little different expectation now that we’re a playoff team. But you want that challenge. We’re excited about that. But lets temper the expectations a little bit, and you look at how really inexperienced we are up front.”
That said, the talent is there for a team that finished second in the Atlantic Division behind the Boston Bruins. They’ll be challengers in the East, the question is how far can they go?
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)