Jul 7, 2014, 2:13 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning were one of the busiest teams this summer and after the success they had last season, fans there are getting a bit excited.
The Lightning re-signed Ryan Callahan, added Brian Boyle, Anton Stralman, and Evgeni Nabokov in free agency and traded for Jason Garrison. Throw prospect Jonathan Drouin into that mix and you’ve got a potentially loaded team. Just don’t tell coach Jon Cooper about that.
Cooper would like everyone to just take a breath and not get too excited as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shared.
“I’ve never seen a team, on paper, win the Stanley Cup,” Cooper said.
“We have to have the same work ethic we had last year, and I’m sure people are going to look at us with a little different expectation now that we’re a playoff team. But you want that challenge. We’re excited about that. But lets temper the expectations a little bit, and you look at how really inexperienced we are up front.”
That said, the talent is there for a team that finished second in the Atlantic Division behind the Boston Bruins. They’ll be challengers in the East, the question is how far can they go?
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)