Jul 7, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were one of the busiest teams this summer and after the success they had last season, fans there are getting a bit excited.
The Lightning re-signed Ryan Callahan, added Brian Boyle, Anton Stralman, and Evgeni Nabokov in free agency and traded for Jason Garrison. Throw prospect Jonathan Drouin into that mix and you’ve got a potentially loaded team. Just don’t tell coach Jon Cooper about that.
Cooper would like everyone to just take a breath and not get too excited as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shared.
“I’ve never seen a team, on paper, win the Stanley Cup,” Cooper said.
“We have to have the same work ethic we had last year, and I’m sure people are going to look at us with a little different expectation now that we’re a playoff team. But you want that challenge. We’re excited about that. But lets temper the expectations a little bit, and you look at how really inexperienced we are up front.”
That said, the talent is there for a team that finished second in the Atlantic Division behind the Boston Bruins. They’ll be challengers in the East, the question is how far can they go?
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)