Jul 7, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were one of the busiest teams this summer and after the success they had last season, fans there are getting a bit excited.
The Lightning re-signed Ryan Callahan, added Brian Boyle, Anton Stralman, and Evgeni Nabokov in free agency and traded for Jason Garrison. Throw prospect Jonathan Drouin into that mix and you’ve got a potentially loaded team. Just don’t tell coach Jon Cooper about that.
Cooper would like everyone to just take a breath and not get too excited as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shared.
“I’ve never seen a team, on paper, win the Stanley Cup,” Cooper said.
“We have to have the same work ethic we had last year, and I’m sure people are going to look at us with a little different expectation now that we’re a playoff team. But you want that challenge. We’re excited about that. But lets temper the expectations a little bit, and you look at how really inexperienced we are up front.”
That said, the talent is there for a team that finished second in the Atlantic Division behind the Boston Bruins. They’ll be challengers in the East, the question is how far can they go?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)