Jul 7, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just three days after inking veteran center Olli Jokinen, the Preds announced that another experienced middle man — Mike Fisher — ruptured his Achilles during an offseason training session and will be out for the next 4-6 months.
“Fisher sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon during a training session and underwent successful surgery on Thursday, July 3,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “We expect Mike to make a full recovery in four-to-six months, and look forward to his return to the ice.”
Fisher, 34, has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. He averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
The loss of Fisher is profound as Nashville’s struggles to land a top-flight center this offseason were well documented. Jason Spezza refused to waive his no-trade clause to join the Preds, while a proposed deal for Vincent Lecavalier never came to fruition.
With Fisher out — judging on the 4-6 month timeline, he could be gone through December — the Preds are pretty thin down the middle: Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson are essentially it for centers. Prized prospect Filip Forsberg could get a shot at playing there, as could Calle Jarnkrok, acquired by Detroit at last year’s deadline in exchange for David Legwand.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- (Report) Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)