Jul 7, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just three days after inking veteran center Olli Jokinen, the Preds announced that another experienced middle man — Mike Fisher — ruptured his Achilles during an offseason training session and will be out for the next 4-6 months.
“Fisher sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon during a training session and underwent successful surgery on Thursday, July 3,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “We expect Mike to make a full recovery in four-to-six months, and look forward to his return to the ice.”
Fisher, 34, has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. He averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
The loss of Fisher is profound as Nashville’s struggles to land a top-flight center this offseason were well documented. Jason Spezza refused to waive his no-trade clause to join the Preds, while a proposed deal for Vincent Lecavalier never came to fruition.
With Fisher out — judging on the 4-6 month timeline, he could be gone through December — the Preds are pretty thin down the middle: Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson are essentially it for centers. Prized prospect Filip Forsberg could get a shot at playing there, as could Calle Jarnkrok, acquired by Detroit at last year’s deadline in exchange for David Legwand.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)