Jul 7, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just three days after inking veteran center Olli Jokinen, the Preds announced that another experienced middle man — Mike Fisher — ruptured his Achilles during an offseason training session and will be out for the next 4-6 months.
“Fisher sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon during a training session and underwent successful surgery on Thursday, July 3,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “We expect Mike to make a full recovery in four-to-six months, and look forward to his return to the ice.”
Fisher, 34, has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. He averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
The loss of Fisher is profound as Nashville’s struggles to land a top-flight center this offseason were well documented. Jason Spezza refused to waive his no-trade clause to join the Preds, while a proposed deal for Vincent Lecavalier never came to fruition.
With Fisher out — judging on the 4-6 month timeline, he could be gone through December — the Preds are pretty thin down the middle: Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson are essentially it for centers. Prized prospect Filip Forsberg could get a shot at playing there, as could Calle Jarnkrok, acquired by Detroit at last year’s deadline in exchange for David Legwand.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)