Jul 7, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Just three days after inking veteran center Olli Jokinen, the Preds announced that another experienced middle man — Mike Fisher — ruptured his Achilles during an offseason training session and will be out for the next 4-6 months.
“Fisher sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon during a training session and underwent successful surgery on Thursday, July 3,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “We expect Mike to make a full recovery in four-to-six months, and look forward to his return to the ice.”
Fisher, 34, has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. He averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
The loss of Fisher is profound as Nashville’s struggles to land a top-flight center this offseason were well documented. Jason Spezza refused to waive his no-trade clause to join the Preds, while a proposed deal for Vincent Lecavalier never came to fruition.
With Fisher out — judging on the 4-6 month timeline, he could be gone through December — the Preds are pretty thin down the middle: Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson are essentially it for centers. Prized prospect Filip Forsberg could get a shot at playing there, as could Calle Jarnkrok, acquired by Detroit at last year’s deadline in exchange for David Legwand.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)