Jul 7, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Just three days after inking veteran center Olli Jokinen, the Preds announced that another experienced middle man — Mike Fisher — ruptured his Achilles during an offseason training session and will be out for the next 4-6 months.
“Fisher sustained a ruptured Achilles tendon during a training session and underwent successful surgery on Thursday, July 3,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “We expect Mike to make a full recovery in four-to-six months, and look forward to his return to the ice.”
Fisher, 34, has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. He averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
The loss of Fisher is profound as Nashville’s struggles to land a top-flight center this offseason were well documented. Jason Spezza refused to waive his no-trade clause to join the Preds, while a proposed deal for Vincent Lecavalier never came to fruition.
With Fisher out — judging on the 4-6 month timeline, he could be gone through December — the Preds are pretty thin down the middle: Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson are essentially it for centers. Prized prospect Filip Forsberg could get a shot at playing there, as could Calle Jarnkrok, acquired by Detroit at last year’s deadline in exchange for David Legwand.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)