Jul 7, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks’ new goalie coach has a familiar name.
Jimmy Waite, who spent parts of nine NHL seasons with Chicago, has been hired as the ‘Hawks new goalie guru, the club announced on Monday. Waite replaces the outgoing Steve Weeks, who lasted just one season on the job after taking over from Stephane Waite — Jimmy’s older brother, who left the team last season after 10 years on the job.
“We are pleased to welcome Jimmy back to our organization in his new role,” Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said in a statement. “He has over two decades of professional hockey experience and will be a great addition to our coaching staff.”
Jimmy has spent the last two seasons as the goalie coach with QMHJL Chicoutimi and, at 45, is only a few years removed from his playing days. As for Weeks, it’s unclear exactly why he was turfed so quickly, though Joel Quenneville said it was his decision to relieve the longtime goalie coach of his duties.
“Tough situation,” Quenneville explained, per the Chicago Sun-Times. “But we’re looking to make a change.”
As mentioned, Weeks joined the organization last year and had large shoes to fill from the Waite era. Stephane was lauded for his work with a number of ‘tenders, including Antti Niemi — who went from the Finnish second division to Stanley Cup champ in four years — and Corey Crawford, who backstopped Chicago to the championship in 2013.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)