Jul 7, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Florida has brought aboard a pair of assistants for new coach Gerard Gallant, hiring Mike Kelly and Mark Morris on Monday afternoon.
“We are pleased to welcome Mike and Mark to our coaching staff,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said in a statement. “They bring to our club a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience and will be the perfect fit to work together with Gerard, John [Madden, the other assistant] and Robb [Tallas, goalie coach].”
The moves mean that Brian Skrudland, who served last year as an assistant coach, will return to his role as Flordia’s director of player development.
As for Kelly and Morris…the former has ties to Gallant, having coached with him in QMJHL Saint John and winning the Memorial Cup together in 2011. Kelly also has experience behind an NHL bench, having served as Alain Vigneault’s assistant in Vancouver for two seasons.
Morris is best known as the longtime head coach of the Kings’ AHL affiliate in Manchester. He parted ways with the organization in May after eight years on the job, and was lauded by L.A. GM Dean Lombardi for playing a key role in the development of a number of current Kings: Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting in L.A.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)