Jul 7, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Florida has brought aboard a pair of assistants for new coach Gerard Gallant, hiring Mike Kelly and Mark Morris on Monday afternoon.
“We are pleased to welcome Mike and Mark to our coaching staff,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said in a statement. “They bring to our club a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience and will be the perfect fit to work together with Gerard, John [Madden, the other assistant] and Robb [Tallas, goalie coach].”
The moves mean that Brian Skrudland, who served last year as an assistant coach, will return to his role as Flordia’s director of player development.
As for Kelly and Morris…the former has ties to Gallant, having coached with him in QMJHL Saint John and winning the Memorial Cup together in 2011. Kelly also has experience behind an NHL bench, having served as Alain Vigneault’s assistant in Vancouver for two seasons.
Morris is best known as the longtime head coach of the Kings’ AHL affiliate in Manchester. He parted ways with the organization in May after eight years on the job, and was lauded by L.A. GM Dean Lombardi for playing a key role in the development of a number of current Kings: Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting in L.A.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 0
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 25
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 53
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)