Jul 7, 2014, 4:09 PM EST
Having already implemented a new president of hockey ops in Trevor Linden and GM in Jim Benning, the Canucks added more to their front office on Monday as Benning announced he hired former Flames assistant GM John Weisbrod as Vice President of Player Personnel.
Weisbrod, who was turfed by Calgary along with GM Jay Feaster in December of last year, will reunite with Benning after the two spent several years together in Boston’s scouting department. Previously, Weisbrod worked in the Dallas scouting department and, perhaps most famously, was the former GM of the NBA’s Orlando Magic — a position he was promoted to after his tenure with the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears came to an end (when the International league folded.)
As mentioned in the headline, Vancouver has a very crowded hockey ops department now that Weisbrod’s aboard — he joins Linden, Benning, Stan Smyl (director of player development), Lorne Henning (assistant GM) and Laurence Gilman (assistant GM).
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 22
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5