Jul 7, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Having already implemented a new president of hockey ops in Trevor Linden and GM in Jim Benning, the Canucks added more to their front office on Monday as Benning announced he hired former Flames assistant GM John Weisbrod as Vice President of Player Personnel.
Weisbrod, who was turfed by Calgary along with GM Jay Feaster in December of last year, will reunite with Benning after the two spent several years together in Boston’s scouting department. Previously, Weisbrod worked in the Dallas scouting department and, perhaps most famously, was the former GM of the NBA’s Orlando Magic — a position he was promoted to after his tenure with the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears came to an end (when the International league folded.)
As mentioned in the headline, Vancouver has a very crowded hockey ops department now that Weisbrod’s aboard — he joins Linden, Benning, Stan Smyl (director of player development), Lorne Henning (assistant GM) and Laurence Gilman (assistant GM).
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36