Jul 7, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Having already implemented a new president of hockey ops in Trevor Linden and GM in Jim Benning, the Canucks added more to their front office on Monday as Benning announced he hired former Flames assistant GM John Weisbrod as Vice President of Player Personnel.
Weisbrod, who was turfed by Calgary along with GM Jay Feaster in December of last year, will reunite with Benning after the two spent several years together in Boston’s scouting department. Previously, Weisbrod worked in the Dallas scouting department and, perhaps most famously, was the former GM of the NBA’s Orlando Magic — a position he was promoted to after his tenure with the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears came to an end (when the International league folded.)
As mentioned in the headline, Vancouver has a very crowded hockey ops department now that Weisbrod’s aboard — he joins Linden, Benning, Stan Smyl (director of player development), Lorne Henning (assistant GM) and Laurence Gilman (assistant GM).
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25