Jul 7, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Having already implemented a new president of hockey ops in Trevor Linden and GM in Jim Benning, the Canucks added more to their front office on Monday as Benning announced he hired former Flames assistant GM John Weisbrod as Vice President of Player Personnel.
Weisbrod, who was turfed by Calgary along with GM Jay Feaster in December of last year, will reunite with Benning after the two spent several years together in Boston’s scouting department. Previously, Weisbrod worked in the Dallas scouting department and, perhaps most famously, was the former GM of the NBA’s Orlando Magic — a position he was promoted to after his tenure with the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears came to an end (when the International league folded.)
As mentioned in the headline, Vancouver has a very crowded hockey ops department now that Weisbrod’s aboard — he joins Linden, Benning, Stan Smyl (director of player development), Lorne Henning (assistant GM) and Laurence Gilman (assistant GM).
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 6
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5