Jul 7, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this before, but an ex-Canuck is coming back to Vancouver.
This time, it’s Doug Lidster — the former defenseman-turned-coach has been hired to work under new bench boss Willie Desjardins next season, the Canucks announced on Monday.
Lidster, 52, has ties not just to the organization but Desjardins as well. They won a Calder Cup together last season in AHL Texas, where Lidster served as Desjardins’ assistant for each of the last two years. Prior to that, Lidster coached the Canadian Women’s team, OHL Saginaw and served as an assistant with WHL Medicine Hat, where he first worked under Desjardins (during the 2002-03 campaign).
In a summer where the Canucks brought back former captain Trevor Linden as president of hockey ops and ex-defenseman Jim Benning as GM, the Lidster hire makes sense. He spent 10 seasons with Vancouver during the 80s and early 90s, actually playing on the same ’89-90 team as both Linden and Benning.
Lidster will now join video coach Darryl Williams, goalie coach Rollie Melanson and fellow assistant Glen Gulutzan on Desjardins’ staff — the trio were holdovers from the John Tortorella regime.
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 0
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)