Jul 7, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this before, but an ex-Canuck is coming back to Vancouver.
This time, it’s Doug Lidster — the former defenseman-turned-coach has been hired to work under new bench boss Willie Desjardins next season, the Canucks announced on Monday.
Lidster, 52, has ties not just to the organization but Desjardins as well. They won a Calder Cup together last season in AHL Texas, where Lidster served as Desjardins’ assistant for each of the last two years. Prior to that, Lidster coached the Canadian Women’s team, OHL Saginaw and served as an assistant with WHL Medicine Hat, where he first worked under Desjardins (during the 2002-03 campaign).
In a summer where the Canucks brought back former captain Trevor Linden as president of hockey ops and ex-defenseman Jim Benning as GM, the Lidster hire makes sense. He spent 10 seasons with Vancouver during the 80s and early 90s, actually playing on the same ’89-90 team as both Linden and Benning.
Lidster will now join video coach Darryl Williams, goalie coach Rollie Melanson and fellow assistant Glen Gulutzan on Desjardins’ staff — the trio were holdovers from the John Tortorella regime.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)