Jul 6, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Barry Trotz’s first game as Washington’s bench boss in still months away, but he’s already having an impact on what the Capitals look like. He acted as a lead salesperson for the team during the free agent period and helped the seal the deal for some players.
Orpik wasn’t alone in that sentiment as Matt Niskanen also regards Trotz highly. Meanwhile backup goaltender Justin Peters said Trotz telling him that he wanted Peters to be a member of the Capitals was what ultimately swayed him.
Not that they joined Washington because of Trotz alone. The Capitals handed Orpik a lucrative five-year, $27.5 million contract and Niskanen will earn $40.25 million over seven years. It could be argued that the Capitals overpaid to lure the former Penguins defensemen and some have called the Orpik signing in particular the worst of the summer.
That part of the equation is thanks to the financial muscle the Capitals wield and sets this summer apart from others Trotz had during his days with the Nashville Predators. We’ve seen what Trotz can do with a team that’s forced to spend conservatively. In 2014-15, we’ll see how he handles being the bench boss of a team that spends to the cap.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)