Jul 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to start the 2014-15 campaign led by “a goalie with experience” rather than the young duo of Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom. They accomplished that by signing Ryan Miller to a three-year, $18 million contract, but it also put Jacob Markstrom’s future with the team in question.
Markstrom only played in four games with Vancouver after they acquired him from the Florida Panthers on March 4 as part of the Roberto Luongo deal and now he might not even fit in as the team’s backup. With that in mind, it’s believe that he’s requested a trade, according to the Vancouver Province.
“We’re exploring that for Jacob,” Canucks GM Jim Benning said. “But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.”
Benning also used the goaltending injuries the Minnesota Wild endured last year as an example of why carrying three netminders might prove to be to the Canucks’ benefit. Markstrom has a $1.2 million cap hit for the 2014-15 campaign, but the Canucks do have some breathing room when it comes to the ceiling.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)