Jul 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to start the 2014-15 campaign led by “a goalie with experience” rather than the young duo of Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom. They accomplished that by signing Ryan Miller to a three-year, $18 million contract, but it also put Jacob Markstrom’s future with the team in question.
Markstrom only played in four games with Vancouver after they acquired him from the Florida Panthers on March 4 as part of the Roberto Luongo deal and now he might not even fit in as the team’s backup. With that in mind, it’s believe that he’s requested a trade, according to the Vancouver Province.
“We’re exploring that for Jacob,” Canucks GM Jim Benning said. “But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.”
Benning also used the goaltending injuries the Minnesota Wild endured last year as an example of why carrying three netminders might prove to be to the Canucks’ benefit. Markstrom has a $1.2 million cap hit for the 2014-15 campaign, but the Canucks do have some breathing room when it comes to the ceiling.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)