Jul 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to start the 2014-15 campaign led by “a goalie with experience” rather than the young duo of Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom. They accomplished that by signing Ryan Miller to a three-year, $18 million contract, but it also put Jacob Markstrom’s future with the team in question.
Markstrom only played in four games with Vancouver after they acquired him from the Florida Panthers on March 4 as part of the Roberto Luongo deal and now he might not even fit in as the team’s backup. With that in mind, it’s believe that he’s requested a trade, according to the Vancouver Province.
“We’re exploring that for Jacob,” Canucks GM Jim Benning said. “But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.”
Benning also used the goaltending injuries the Minnesota Wild endured last year as an example of why carrying three netminders might prove to be to the Canucks’ benefit. Markstrom has a $1.2 million cap hit for the 2014-15 campaign, but the Canucks do have some breathing room when it comes to the ceiling.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 73
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (74)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)