Jul 6, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to start the 2014-15 campaign led by “a goalie with experience” rather than the young duo of Eddie Lack and Jacob Markstrom. They accomplished that by signing Ryan Miller to a three-year, $18 million contract, but it also put Jacob Markstrom’s future with the team in question.
Markstrom only played in four games with Vancouver after they acquired him from the Florida Panthers on March 4 as part of the Roberto Luongo deal and now he might not even fit in as the team’s backup. With that in mind, it’s believe that he’s requested a trade, according to the Vancouver Province.
“We’re exploring that for Jacob,” Canucks GM Jim Benning said. “But if that doesn’t happen, Jacob comes to camp. He has a good attitude. He understands the situation.”
Benning also used the goaltending injuries the Minnesota Wild endured last year as an example of why carrying three netminders might prove to be to the Canucks’ benefit. Markstrom has a $1.2 million cap hit for the 2014-15 campaign, but the Canucks do have some breathing room when it comes to the ceiling.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)