Jul 6, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
In a league that’s only getting bigger, 5-foot-9 forward Johnny Gaudreau is hoping to be an exception. He slipped to the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but his days of being overlooked are long behind him.
Gaudreau made a name for himself at Boston College and wrapped up his NCAA career by claiming the Hobey Baker Award. He also made his NHL debut on April 13 and chipped in a goal.
His biggest challenge is still ahead of him though as he needs to prove that he can make it at the NHL level. To help him with that, he’s reached out to other undersized forwards, including Martin St. Louis.
“I’ve just got to make sure I follow in their footsteps and do what they’ve been doing,” Gaudreau told NHL.com.
“They said you need to be strong in your legs, definitely work out your legs. And you don’t need to be too big in your upper body because you won’t be able to stickhandle that well. Just a lot of great pointers from a lot of great guys and I really appreciate it.
“It’s just doing the little things right, keep working out, making sure I’m skating and getting stronger. Obviously I’m going to get stronger. I have to make sure I keep working out and working hard.”
Like Gaudreau, St. Louis was initially dismissed by NHL teams, but he eventually found his footing and became one of the best players of his generation. Gaudreau was five when St. Louis made his NHL debut, so for most of Gaudreau’s life, he’s stood as an example of what small forwards can accomplish.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)