Jul 6, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
When Tampa Bay Lightning 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Drouin didn’t make the team out of training camp last season, it came as a big surprise to most.
After all, he just had a monster season in the QMJHL with Halifax and it was assumed the Lightning could use the help. Instead, Drouin was sent back to Halifax where he could’ve sulked, but rather he got better and is ready to make an impact on the Lightning this season as Tal Pinchevsky of NHL.com shared.
“I think I’m over [being sent back]. I don’t want to think about it too much. In the end, it was their decision to send me back to juniors for another year,” Drouin said. “Obviously you want to prove them wrong, but as the year went on I think I was playing more for the Mooseheads than anything else. You forget about being cut and you move on a little bit. It was a big deal, but I’m only 19 years old. I have many years in front of me to try to make the club.”
While he’s 19, he’s coming off another monster season in the QMJHL where he had 29 goals and 79 assists. The previous season saw him score 41 goals so he’s got the skills to fill the net and help others.
Adding that sort of ability to the current Lightning roster could make them serious contenders to win the Eastern Conference next season. If Drouin can fit in seamlessly he could also be looking at a Calder Trophy as well. He may have been disappointed with being sent back last year, but big things are coming.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (126)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)