Jul 6, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
When Tampa Bay Lightning 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Drouin didn’t make the team out of training camp last season, it came as a big surprise to most.
After all, he just had a monster season in the QMJHL with Halifax and it was assumed the Lightning could use the help. Instead, Drouin was sent back to Halifax where he could’ve sulked, but rather he got better and is ready to make an impact on the Lightning this season as Tal Pinchevsky of NHL.com shared.
“I think I’m over [being sent back]. I don’t want to think about it too much. In the end, it was their decision to send me back to juniors for another year,” Drouin said. “Obviously you want to prove them wrong, but as the year went on I think I was playing more for the Mooseheads than anything else. You forget about being cut and you move on a little bit. It was a big deal, but I’m only 19 years old. I have many years in front of me to try to make the club.”
While he’s 19, he’s coming off another monster season in the QMJHL where he had 29 goals and 79 assists. The previous season saw him score 41 goals so he’s got the skills to fill the net and help others.
Adding that sort of ability to the current Lightning roster could make them serious contenders to win the Eastern Conference next season. If Drouin can fit in seamlessly he could also be looking at a Calder Trophy as well. He may have been disappointed with being sent back last year, but big things are coming.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 13
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 31
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11