Jul 5, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
It seems things are cool between Tampa Bay Lightning prospects Jonathan Drouin and Adam Erne.
Why wouldn’t they be, you might ask?
Well, last December, Erne, playing for the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL at the time, hit Halifax Mooseheads star Drouin from behind into the glass, earning him an ejection from the game.
Erne was selected in the second round, 33rd overall, by the Lightning in last year’s NHL Draft. Drouin was selected much earlier than that – third overall, also by the Lightning.
Drouin also suffered a concussion on the hit, and it was an injury that kept his status for the 2013-14 World Junior tournament in jeopardy for a time, although Hockey Canada expected him to be ready for the competition.
So, there’s that for a storyline at the Lightning’s development camp.
“The game goes fast. Stuff happens. It was one of those (things) that happens a lot,” Drouin told the Tampa Bay Times. “It just ended up being a little weird we’re on the same NHL team. I don’t think (the hit) was on purpose or intentional.”
You can view the hit here.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)