Jul 5, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
It seems things are cool between Tampa Bay Lightning prospects Jonathan Drouin and Adam Erne.
Why wouldn’t they be, you might ask?
Well, last December, Erne, playing for the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL at the time, hit Halifax Mooseheads star Drouin from behind into the glass, earning him an ejection from the game.
Erne was selected in the second round, 33rd overall, by the Lightning in last year’s NHL Draft. Drouin was selected much earlier than that – third overall, also by the Lightning.
Drouin also suffered a concussion on the hit, and it was an injury that kept his status for the 2013-14 World Junior tournament in jeopardy for a time, although Hockey Canada expected him to be ready for the competition.
So, there’s that for a storyline at the Lightning’s development camp.
“The game goes fast. Stuff happens. It was one of those (things) that happens a lot,” Drouin told the Tampa Bay Times. “It just ended up being a little weird we’re on the same NHL team. I don’t think (the hit) was on purpose or intentional.”
You can view the hit here.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 32
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 14
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)