Jul 5, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
It seems things are cool between Tampa Bay Lightning prospects Jonathan Drouin and Adam Erne.
Why wouldn’t they be, you might ask?
Well, last December, Erne, playing for the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL at the time, hit Halifax Mooseheads star Drouin from behind into the glass, earning him an ejection from the game.
Erne was selected in the second round, 33rd overall, by the Lightning in last year’s NHL Draft. Drouin was selected much earlier than that – third overall, also by the Lightning.
Drouin also suffered a concussion on the hit, and it was an injury that kept his status for the 2013-14 World Junior tournament in jeopardy for a time, although Hockey Canada expected him to be ready for the competition.
So, there’s that for a storyline at the Lightning’s development camp.
“The game goes fast. Stuff happens. It was one of those (things) that happens a lot,” Drouin told the Tampa Bay Times. “It just ended up being a little weird we’re on the same NHL team. I don’t think (the hit) was on purpose or intentional.”
You can view the hit here.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)