Jul 5, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
It seems things are cool between Tampa Bay Lightning prospects Jonathan Drouin and Adam Erne.
Why wouldn’t they be, you might ask?
Well, last December, Erne, playing for the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL at the time, hit Halifax Mooseheads star Drouin from behind into the glass, earning him an ejection from the game.
Erne was selected in the second round, 33rd overall, by the Lightning in last year’s NHL Draft. Drouin was selected much earlier than that – third overall, also by the Lightning.
Drouin also suffered a concussion on the hit, and it was an injury that kept his status for the 2013-14 World Junior tournament in jeopardy for a time, although Hockey Canada expected him to be ready for the competition.
So, there’s that for a storyline at the Lightning’s development camp.
“The game goes fast. Stuff happens. It was one of those (things) that happens a lot,” Drouin told the Tampa Bay Times. “It just ended up being a little weird we’re on the same NHL team. I don’t think (the hit) was on purpose or intentional.”
You can view the hit here.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5