Jul 5, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
The NHLPA released a list of 20 players filing for salary arbitration this summer, with Montreal Canadiens star defenseman P.K. Subban being the biggest name:
Los Angeles Kings
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
San Jose Sharks
Toronto Maple Leafs
Some pertinent bits of information: NHL teams face a July 6 (5 p.m. ET) deadline for club-elected arbitration.
Deadline for clubs to elect arbitration is tomorrow at 5pm ET. Largest ever award is Shea Weber's $7.5M in 2011.—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) July 05, 2014
Arbitration hearings are scheduled in Toronto between the dates of July 20 to August 4.
It’s worth noting that players don’t have to go through the process. In fact, it’s highly common for teams and free agents to make deals very close to the hearings and it’s become increasingly rare for the rather awkward sessions to even take place any longer. Then again, with a case like Subban and the Habs, it’s not out of the question for such a thing to take place, either.
Expect more on this process, particularly when it pertains to the biggest names on that list.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 0
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55