Jul 5, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
The NHLPA released a list of 20 players who filed for salary arbitration on Saturday, yet there were a few interesting names that didn’t make it on that list (for whatever reasons).
Feel free to share other noteworthy RFAs who didn’t file in the comments, but here are a few of the more intriguing players who decided to ignore that process altogether:
- Pittsburgh Penguins forward Brandon Sutter opted against doing so, as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari notes. (More on which Penguins decided to and the one who did here.)
Sutter, 25, scored 13 goals and 26 points while averaging 15:56 minutes per game in 81 contests last season.
- Minnesota Wild goalie Darcy Kuemper is another name that pops out (thanks to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo). The 24-year-old had a very nice regular season and looked good before being injured in the playoffs, but with just 40 NHL games (32 regular season, 8 postseason) on his resume, he probably wouldn’t have had a great case.
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford believes that Vladimir Sobotka‘s decision not to file is a good sign that he might reach a deal with the St. Louis Blues soon.
- The Detroit Red Wings might be a little relieved to avoid the process with defenseman Danny DeKeyser (pointed out by MLive.com’s Ansar Khan).
In his second season with the Red Wings, the 24-year-old defenseman averaged 21:38 per game, the second highest total behind Niklas Kronwall (24:19). DeKeyser scored a solid 23 points in 65 games, making him a nice bargain at $1.35 million (after performance bonuses). That could be an interesting RFA negotiation process to watch this summer.
Again, this isn’t a comprehensive list. If there are any names that stand out (note: not every RFA is eligible for salary arbitration), feel free to point some out in the comments.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)