Jul 5, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins selected Kasperi Kapanen in the first-round of the 2014 NHL Draft, they knew they were getting a guy with high offensive upside. They also knew they were getting a player who could be in the NHL as soon as the upcoming season.
Kapanen was taken 22nd overall by the Pens and his history in Finland’s top league is what makes him intriguing. Penguins GM Jim Rutherford said Kapanen is a guy worth keeping an eye on through training camp as Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette shared.
“We have to keep in mind that Kapanen could come in and make this team,” Rutherford said. “He’s played with men [in Finland] for two years. He’s a good player.”
Last season, the 17 year-old Finn had seven goals and 14 points with KalPa in the SM-liiga in 47 games. That may not sound like a lot, but for a kid that age doing it against players much older, it’s impressive.
Does that mean you can pencil his name in on the win with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin? Well, no… But it does give the Penguins another possible offensive player to work with next season. If Kapanen impresses in training camp, he can always get the nine-game peek before heading back to Finland.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 11
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)