Jul 5, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
It’s been a trying time for Tampa Bay Lightning prospect defenseman Slater Koekkoek since being drafted in the first-round in 2012.
Each of the past three seasons for him have ended with shoulder injuries and while he had high hopes pinned on him when he was selected 10th overall, he just wants to be healthy as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shares.
“I’ve gotten the same questions for how long now? But maybe I got them fixed up now then I’ll be good for the next 20 years,” Koekkoek said. “It’s something I had to deal with, it’s not my fault or anything, just had a bad break. And I’m just going to move forward.”
Koekkoek, 20, saw his last season with the Windsor Spitfires come to an abrupt end after injuring his shoulder in a fight. Before that, he was having a monster season as he scored 15 goals with 53 points in 62 games. In his past three seasons he’s played a total of 130 games.
With the way the Lightning have built up their blue line this offseason adding Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison, it’s a bit of a crowded house in Tampa. For now, Koekkoek will look to get his game going in the American Hockey League with Syracuse.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 44
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)