Jul 5, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
It’s been a trying time for Tampa Bay Lightning prospect defenseman Slater Koekkoek since being drafted in the first-round in 2012.
Each of the past three seasons for him have ended with shoulder injuries and while he had high hopes pinned on him when he was selected 10th overall, he just wants to be healthy as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shares.
“I’ve gotten the same questions for how long now? But maybe I got them fixed up now then I’ll be good for the next 20 years,” Koekkoek said. “It’s something I had to deal with, it’s not my fault or anything, just had a bad break. And I’m just going to move forward.”
Koekkoek, 20, saw his last season with the Windsor Spitfires come to an abrupt end after injuring his shoulder in a fight. Before that, he was having a monster season as he scored 15 goals with 53 points in 62 games. In his past three seasons he’s played a total of 130 games.
With the way the Lightning have built up their blue line this offseason adding Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison, it’s a bit of a crowded house in Tampa. For now, Koekkoek will look to get his game going in the American Hockey League with Syracuse.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)