Jul 5, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
It’s been a trying time for Tampa Bay Lightning prospect defenseman Slater Koekkoek since being drafted in the first-round in 2012.
Each of the past three seasons for him have ended with shoulder injuries and while he had high hopes pinned on him when he was selected 10th overall, he just wants to be healthy as Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times shares.
“I’ve gotten the same questions for how long now? But maybe I got them fixed up now then I’ll be good for the next 20 years,” Koekkoek said. “It’s something I had to deal with, it’s not my fault or anything, just had a bad break. And I’m just going to move forward.”
Koekkoek, 20, saw his last season with the Windsor Spitfires come to an abrupt end after injuring his shoulder in a fight. Before that, he was having a monster season as he scored 15 goals with 53 points in 62 games. In his past three seasons he’s played a total of 130 games.
With the way the Lightning have built up their blue line this offseason adding Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison, it’s a bit of a crowded house in Tampa. For now, Koekkoek will look to get his game going in the American Hockey League with Syracuse.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)