Jul 4, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
It was the biggest trade at the actual NHL Draft – the Nashville Predators picking up scoring forward James Neal from the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Penguins, led by new general manager Jim Rutherford, were looking to change things up. The Predators, well they get someone capable of scoring, having put up a career-high 40 goals only two years ago, but with a reputation, having been suspended three times in his young career. Neal has acknowledged that he, too, needs to change for the better.
Although, according to The Denver Post, the Penguins were also talking to the Colorado Avalanche.
From The Denver Post:
The interesting part for Avs fans: Penguins GM Jim Rutherford is shown telling Poile that he “has a deal for No. 23″ in his back pocket already, but that he might re-arrange things if the deal with Nashville goes through. The holder of the No. 23 pick at the draft? That would be the Colorado Avalanche.
So, it’s clear that the Avs were talking trade with the Penguins at the draft before the Avs wound up keeping the No. 23 pick and the Preds did their deal with Rutherford.
Oh, those draft-day deals. A lot of the wheeling and dealing on that day was done by the Vancouver Canucks, although as it pertains to the Neal trade, things could’ve been very different for Pittsburgh, Nashville and Colorado.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)