Jul 4, 2014, 6:47 PM EDT
Pat LaFontaine is once again employed by the NHL.
The Hockey Hall of Famer, who left his post with the department of player safety to become Buffalo Sabres president last November, has reportedly re-joined the Deputy Commissioner’s Office as the vice president of hockey development and community affairs, per TSN.
LaFontaine, 49, had a ballyhooed return to Buffalo last year, re-joining the organization alongside Ted Nolan in what many saw as a “welcome home” reception. The honeymoon period with Sabres didn’t last long, however, as LaFontaine abruptly resigned one day after the Ryan Miller–Steve Ott trade with St. Louis, setting off a firestorm of rumors in the process.
Tim Murray, the GM hired to replace Darcy Regier, said he and LaFontaine had a good working relationship in Buffalo and shot down the theory him coming aboard had anything to do with LaFontaine leaving.
“We were on the same page,” Murray said. “I was brought in here for the rebuild and we were on the same page with that. I’ve been here for six weeks and probably on the road for four of those scouting.
“Every phone call I got concerning trades was relayed to Pat. There was never any indication that we weren’t on the same page.”
Later, a report surfaced that LaFontaine signed a non-disclosure agreement with the Sabres after he resigned.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)