Jul 4, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Pat LaFontaine is once again employed by the NHL.
The Hockey Hall of Famer, who left his post with the department of player safety to become Buffalo Sabres president last November, has reportedly re-joined the Deputy Commissioner’s Office as the vice president of hockey development and community affairs, per TSN.
LaFontaine, 49, had a ballyhooed return to Buffalo last year, re-joining the organization alongside Ted Nolan in what many saw as a “welcome home” reception. The honeymoon period with Sabres didn’t last long, however, as LaFontaine abruptly resigned one day after the Ryan Miller-Steve Ott trade with St. Louis, setting off a firestorm of rumors in the process.
Tim Murray, the GM hired to replace Darcy Regier, said he and LaFontaine had a good working relationship in Buffalo and shot down the theory him coming aboard had anything to do with LaFontaine leaving.
“We were on the same page,” Murray said. “I was brought in here for the rebuild and we were on the same page with that. I’ve been here for six weeks and probably on the road for four of those scouting.
“Every phone call I got concerning trades was relayed to Pat. There was never any indication that we weren’t on the same page.”
Later, a report surfaced that LaFontaine signed a non-disclosure agreement with the Sabres after he resigned.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)