Jul 4, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Pat LaFontaine is once again employed by the NHL.
The Hockey Hall of Famer, who left his post with the department of player safety to become Buffalo Sabres president last November, has reportedly re-joined the Deputy Commissioner’s Office as the vice president of hockey development and community affairs, per TSN.
LaFontaine, 49, had a ballyhooed return to Buffalo last year, re-joining the organization alongside Ted Nolan in what many saw as a “welcome home” reception. The honeymoon period with Sabres didn’t last long, however, as LaFontaine abruptly resigned one day after the Ryan Miller-Steve Ott trade with St. Louis, setting off a firestorm of rumors in the process.
Tim Murray, the GM hired to replace Darcy Regier, said he and LaFontaine had a good working relationship in Buffalo and shot down the theory him coming aboard had anything to do with LaFontaine leaving.
“We were on the same page,” Murray said. “I was brought in here for the rebuild and we were on the same page with that. I’ve been here for six weeks and probably on the road for four of those scouting.
“Every phone call I got concerning trades was relayed to Pat. There was never any indication that we weren’t on the same page.”
Later, a report surfaced that LaFontaine signed a non-disclosure agreement with the Sabres after he resigned.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)