Jul 4, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed speedy, diminutive forward Brian Gibbons to a one-year, two-way contract.
Gibbons, originally an undrafted free-agent signing out of Boston College, made his NHL debut last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins, scoring five goals and 12 assists in 41 games. The 26-year-old also had 30 points in 28 games with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
When he was up with the big club, Gibbons spent time on Sidney Crosby‘s line.
“Sid’s a guy that needs a couple things —or he wants a couple of things — with his line,” then-Pens coach Dan Bylsma said in March. “And that’s speed, and he wants someone to force the issue. He likes someone to attack with speed and create turnovers, create [loose] pucks. That’s what ‘Gibby’ brings. He’s got some pretty fast wheels.
“Do you view Brian Gibbons as a skilled, top, No. 1 right wing in the league? I don’t think so. But he does bring that speed. He brings that energy, and he brings it and helps his line that way.”
Obviously, Gibbons won’t have Crosby to play with in the Jackets’ organization, but that’s a good scouting report anyway.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (105)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)