Jul 4, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed speedy, diminutive forward Brian Gibbons to a one-year, two-way contract.
Gibbons, originally an undrafted free-agent signing out of Boston College, made his NHL debut last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins, scoring five goals and 12 assists in 41 games. The 26-year-old also had 30 points in 28 games with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
When he was up with the big club, Gibbons spent time on Sidney Crosby‘s line.
“Sid’s a guy that needs a couple things —or he wants a couple of things — with his line,” then-Pens coach Dan Bylsma said in March. “And that’s speed, and he wants someone to force the issue. He likes someone to attack with speed and create turnovers, create [loose] pucks. That’s what ‘Gibby’ brings. He’s got some pretty fast wheels.
“Do you view Brian Gibbons as a skilled, top, No. 1 right wing in the league? I don’t think so. But he does bring that speed. He brings that energy, and he brings it and helps his line that way.”
Obviously, Gibbons won’t have Crosby to play with in the Jackets’ organization, but that’s a good scouting report anyway.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (40)