Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill is “pretty confident” he can get new center Jason Spezza signed to a contract extension.
“I’m not too worried about the contract,” Nill told Sportsnet today. “His agent [Rick Curran] and I have spoken, and we’re going to get Jason in here to show him around the area.”
Which sure makes it sound like Nill would like to get Spezza locked up soon. As in, this summer. Currently, Spezza is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
At 31 years old, Spezza’s best years may be behind him, but Nill still believes the Stars got “an elite player in the prime of his career” when they plucked him out of Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Stars will introduce Spezza to the media on Monday morning.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 25
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)