Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill is “pretty confident” he can get new center Jason Spezza signed to a contract extension.
“I’m not too worried about the contract,” Nill told Sportsnet today. “His agent [Rick Curran] and I have spoken, and we’re going to get Jason in here to show him around the area.”
Which sure makes it sound like Nill would like to get Spezza locked up soon. As in, this summer. Currently, Spezza is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
At 31 years old, Spezza’s best years may be behind him, but Nill still believes the Stars got “an elite player in the prime of his career” when they plucked him out of Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Stars will introduce Spezza to the media on Monday morning.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)