Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill is “pretty confident” he can get new center Jason Spezza signed to a contract extension.
“I’m not too worried about the contract,” Nill told Sportsnet today. “His agent [Rick Curran] and I have spoken, and we’re going to get Jason in here to show him around the area.”
Which sure makes it sound like Nill would like to get Spezza locked up soon. As in, this summer. Currently, Spezza is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
At 31 years old, Spezza’s best years may be behind him, but Nill still believes the Stars got “an elite player in the prime of his career” when they plucked him out of Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Stars will introduce Spezza to the media on Monday morning.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 21
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)