Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill is “pretty confident” he can get new center Jason Spezza signed to a contract extension.
“I’m not too worried about the contract,” Nill told Sportsnet today. “His agent [Rick Curran] and I have spoken, and we’re going to get Jason in here to show him around the area.”
Which sure makes it sound like Nill would like to get Spezza locked up soon. As in, this summer. Currently, Spezza is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
At 31 years old, Spezza’s best years may be behind him, but Nill still believes the Stars got “an elite player in the prime of his career” when they plucked him out of Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Stars will introduce Spezza to the media on Monday morning.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17