Jul 3, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill is “pretty confident” he can get new center Jason Spezza signed to a contract extension.
“I’m not too worried about the contract,” Nill told Sportsnet today. “His agent [Rick Curran] and I have spoken, and we’re going to get Jason in here to show him around the area.”
Which sure makes it sound like Nill would like to get Spezza locked up soon. As in, this summer. Currently, Spezza is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
At 31 years old, Spezza’s best years may be behind him, but Nill still believes the Stars got “an elite player in the prime of his career” when they plucked him out of Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Stars will introduce Spezza to the media on Monday morning.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)