Jul 3, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes maintained their monopoly on hockey-playing Staal brothers Thursday, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
The only Staal brother yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer — Marc (Rangers), Eric (‘Canes) and Jordan (ditto) are all firmly entrenched — Jared scored a mere seven points in 50 games for AHL Charlotte last year, and has just two big-league games with Carolina on his resume.
It remains to be seen if he’ll crack the ‘Canes roster to start next season, or if he’ll even be given the opportunity. Carolina had 11 forwards under contract prior to the Staal deal and picked up some veterans in free agency, like Brad Malone and Jay McClement.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)