Jul 3, 2014, 5:43 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes maintained their monopoly on hockey-playing Staal brothers Thursday, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
The only Staal brother yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer — Marc (Rangers), Eric (‘Canes) and Jordan (ditto) are all firmly entrenched — Jared scored a mere seven points in 50 games for AHL Charlotte last year, and has just two big-league games with Carolina on his resume.
It remains to be seen if he’ll crack the ‘Canes roster to start next season, or if he’ll even be given the opportunity. Carolina had 11 forwards under contract prior to the Staal deal and picked up some veterans in free agency, like Brad Malone and Jay McClement.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 7
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54