Jul 3, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes maintained their monopoly on hockey-playing Staal brothers Thursday, agreeing to terms with Jared Staal on a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
The only Staal brother yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer — Marc (Rangers), Eric (‘Canes) and Jordan (ditto) are all firmly entrenched — Jared scored a mere seven points in 50 games for AHL Charlotte last year, and has just two big-league games with Carolina on his resume.
It remains to be seen if he’ll crack the ‘Canes roster to start next season, or if he’ll even be given the opportunity. Carolina had 11 forwards under contract prior to the Staal deal and picked up some veterans in free agency, like Brad Malone and Jay McClement.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)