Jul 3, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
“It’s a work in progress and we’re getting closer and closer,” Lamoriello said. “Hopefully, we’ll have that done in the very near future.”
Schneider, 28, has one year remaining on his contract, which carries a $4 million cap hit. It’s really not a bad time to lock the netminder up, as Martin Brodeur‘s apparent departure makes it clear that he’ll get his wish about being the clear No. 1 guy for the 2014-15 season (if not longer).
As the Bergen Record notes, the Devils’ backup job is likely to come down to veteran Scott Clemmensen (experienced, but on a two-way deal) and rookie Keith Kinkaid. On paper, that provides very little competition for Schneider and adds that much more incentive for a longer-term commitment.ay
Than again, Schneider might want a full season as an unquestioned starter to drive up his negotiating value.
Schneider has a great career save percentage (.925), with that track record carrying over to his tug-o-war with Martin Brodeur last season, even if his record (16-15-12) doesn’t fall in line with that strong .921 save percentage. A little more luck (12 wins on the table, including an odd run of shootout futility for the Devils) and he can enjoy a better record and individual stats.
Either way, there’s a good chance that the Devils and Schneider eventually will get what they want.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)