Jul 3, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
“It’s a work in progress and we’re getting closer and closer,” Lamoriello said. “Hopefully, we’ll have that done in the very near future.”
Schneider, 28, has one year remaining on his contract, which carries a $4 million cap hit. It’s really not a bad time to lock the netminder up, as Martin Brodeur‘s apparent departure makes it clear that he’ll get his wish about being the clear No. 1 guy for the 2014-15 season (if not longer).
As the Bergen Record notes, the Devils’ backup job is likely to come down to veteran Scott Clemmensen (experienced, but on a two-way deal) and rookie Keith Kinkaid. On paper, that provides very little competition for Schneider and adds that much more incentive for a longer-term commitment.ay
Than again, Schneider might want a full season as an unquestioned starter to drive up his negotiating value.
Schneider has a great career save percentage (.925), with that track record carrying over to his tug-o-war with Martin Brodeur last season, even if his record (16-15-12) doesn’t fall in line with that strong .921 save percentage. A little more luck (12 wins on the table, including an odd run of shootout futility for the Devils) and he can enjoy a better record and individual stats.
Either way, there’s a good chance that the Devils and Schneider eventually will get what they want.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)