Jul 3, 2014, 8:41 PM EST
“It’s a work in progress and we’re getting closer and closer,” Lamoriello said. “Hopefully, we’ll have that done in the very near future.”
Schneider, 28, has one year remaining on his contract, which carries a $4 million cap hit. It’s really not a bad time to lock the netminder up, as Martin Brodeur‘s apparent departure makes it clear that he’ll get his wish about being the clear No. 1 guy for the 2014-15 season (if not longer).
As the Bergen Record notes, the Devils’ backup job is likely to come down to veteran Scott Clemmensen (experienced, but on a two-way deal) and rookie Keith Kinkaid. On paper, that provides very little competition for Schneider and adds that much more incentive for a longer-term commitment.ay
Than again, Schneider might want a full season as an unquestioned starter to drive up his negotiating value.
Schneider has a great career save percentage (.925), with that track record carrying over to his tug-o-war with Martin Brodeur last season, even if his record (16-15-12) doesn’t fall in line with that strong .921 save percentage. A little more luck (12 wins on the table, including an odd run of shootout futility for the Devils) and he can enjoy a better record and individual stats.
Either way, there’s a good chance that the Devils and Schneider eventually will get what they want.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)