Jul 3, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
“It’s a work in progress and we’re getting closer and closer,” Lamoriello said. “Hopefully, we’ll have that done in the very near future.”
Schneider, 28, has one year remaining on his contract, which carries a $4 million cap hit. It’s really not a bad time to lock the netminder up, as Martin Brodeur‘s apparent departure makes it clear that he’ll get his wish about being the clear No. 1 guy for the 2014-15 season (if not longer).
As the Bergen Record notes, the Devils’ backup job is likely to come down to veteran Scott Clemmensen (experienced, but on a two-way deal) and rookie Keith Kinkaid. On paper, that provides very little competition for Schneider and adds that much more incentive for a longer-term commitment.ay
Than again, Schneider might want a full season as an unquestioned starter to drive up his negotiating value.
Schneider has a great career save percentage (.925), with that track record carrying over to his tug-o-war with Martin Brodeur last season, even if his record (16-15-12) doesn’t fall in line with that strong .921 save percentage. A little more luck (12 wins on the table, including an odd run of shootout futility for the Devils) and he can enjoy a better record and individual stats.
Either way, there’s a good chance that the Devils and Schneider eventually will get what they want.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)