Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’

Jul 3, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers - Game Four Getty Images

Claude Giroux offered his “sincere apology” on Thursday for his, erm, actions toward an Ottawa police officer on July 1:

“I regret my actions on Canada Day and sincerely apologize to my fans, teammates and the Philadelphia Flyers organization for my misguided attempt at humor.

Following an investigation, law enforcement determined that charges are not warranted. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and apologize to the Ottawa Police Department and specifically the individual officer. I will be making no further public comment on this matter.

I will not be distracted from my ongoing preparation for the upcoming season. I remain 100% committed and focused on working with my team to return the Stanley Cup to Philadelphia.”

When it comes to official statements, you won’t get much better than the phrase “misguided attempt at humor.” One can imagine that line will surface when teams want to make fun of the Philadelphia Flyers and their captain. Speaking of the Flyers, GM Ron Hextall also provided a brief statement regarding the situation:

“We’ve been in contact with Claude and the Ottawa Police Service and have been informed that no charges will be filed. Moving forward, we will deal with this incident internally and we will no longer publicly discuss this matter.”

The most important bit is probably that the team and player confirmed that the 26-year-old center won’t face charges for the … altercation.

He will, undoubtedly, get a lot of grief from this “misguided attempt at humor,” but we’ll leave that to his opportunistic opponents (and one would assume his teammates as well).

1. nobandwagoners - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Much ado about not much (can’t say “nothing” as it was something). Rather innocuous compared to some of the other antics that players have done and trouble they’ve gotten themselves into.

Although whenever I’ve been in a drunken stupor (thanks Rob Ford for that great line), I haven’t gone around grabbing anyone’s buttocks, let alone a police officer’s not only one time, but two times and having been warned against doing it the second time. I would love to have Giroux mic’d up during games to hear the more creative comments that’ll be thrown his way.

• 950003cups - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Misguided attempt at humor? LOLOL
      Wasn’t misguided at all.
      Someone please send Claude a link to the article on PHT.
      He was right on target!

• 950003cups - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Giroux told his agent to make sure his next contract is the league max. They’ll argue that he can singlehandedly get asses in the stands. Sometimes doublehandedly

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Its not a failed attempt at all quite the contrary ,,,,,you will be the butt of many jokes !

• blomfeld - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM

IF PHILADELPHIA = ASS GRABBERS … THEN WE LA KINGS = ASS KICKERS !!!

As an ardent, sexy, and ‘values driven’ fan of the reigning Stanley Cup Champion LA Kings (greatest ice hockey team in the universe today), I applaud Claude Giroux for his Canada Day frivolity and obvious ‘well’ intentioned humor. This was obviously nothing more than ‘tipsy’ good times and he has positively ‘nothing’ to apologize for. So what if a man touched another man’s ass ? How in the hell do you equate that with the ‘mindless and cowardly’ butchery of men’s body parts which plays out on a nightly basis during the course of the regular season ? (ie: life-altering trauma delivered to the brains, eyes, and limbs of various players by ‘human scum’ like Matt Cooke and Zdeno Chara). The bottom line is that ‘boys will be boys’ and Giroux should be proud of his red-blooded antics !!! :)

GO GIROUX !!!

GO PHILADELPHIA FLYERS !!!

GO ‘ORGANIZED’ CRIME ON ICE !!! :) :) :)

*** video footage of coach Sutter reacting to word that the Canucks now want to beat us Kings ***

• President Charles Logan - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Go away Dumbfeld, nobody identifies you as a Kings fan on here , we all know you’re a Calgary Flames fan from years back… just stop embarrassing yourself and the real Kings fans who post on here …

• purpleguy - Jul 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Amazing how humor is perceived differently depending upon how many beers a person has consumed.

Just once I’d like to see one of these “statements” appear to be originally drafted by the player rather than a team of PR flaks.

2. dareu2steelmypenguin - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM

This will NEVER go away. Ever.

3. Nofoolnodrool - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Once a tool always a fool.

4. JoeAvg - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Pretty humble apology and one that’s, I’m sure, accepted by all concerned. But I hope he doesn’t think this silly incident is just going to go away. He’s going to be reminded of this for a long time. Fans can be pretty ruthless.

• jernster21 - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

A pretty humble apology and reading something the Flyers PR group wrote for him aren’t the same thing.

5. sjsharks66 - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I actually didn’t see this as anything bad. While hilarious, no harm. He got his attempt at humor as in it made all of PHT commenters have a laugh.

6. sjsharks66 - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

7. patthehockeyfan - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Giroux owes no one but the Ottawa policeman an apology. I’m sure he’s completely embarrassed.

I’ve done things I’ve regretted. Thank heavens I’m not a public figure. I feel sorry for people who are, and who have their every move followed, scrutinized, criticized and publicized. I understand that that’s the price of fame; but, for Giroux’s sake, I hope we can move on.

C’mon, October!!! Let’s play hockey!!!

• flyboystransport - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Well the officer didn’t say he didn’t like it……

• 950003cups - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Claude is just sorry cause when he grabbed the cops ass, and the cop said “you’re coming with me” he didn’t know not was to jail. Imagine the look on his face when the cop looked at him and said “turn around and spread em!!”

• President Charles Logan - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Cmon October?? can we at least enjoy the hut muggy summer weather for now !!!.. I know I will and always do!

8. martysbetter - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The chirps on the ice next year about this will be world class haha

9. joejacks - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Not how a Cpt and face of franchise acts. Should be stripped of the C and be given an opportunity to prove himself worthy again.

• killerpgh - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM

What do you expect from this “captain”. The game before he got announced as captain of the Flyers he got himself suspended from a playoff elimination game for throwing a temper tantrum and a cheap shot because the ref didn’t make a delay of game call. This type of action shouldn’t surprise you.

10. puckyou14 - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM

LOL, this whole thing is hilarious. Luckily that cop had a sense of humor.

11. killerpgh - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

It’s 2014. Just admit you got turned down by another male and move on. Don’t apologize for your natural feelings just because you got turned down and spent the night in jail.

12. puckmepuckyou - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM

These guys are 20 something year old millionaires. What do you expect? Give them a break on the conduct off the ice. Who cares? Gonna be some great on ice chirping for sure, can’t wait for that.

13. bluesdroogie - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

we have all made dumb choices in an attempt at humor. (not grabbing a cops ass) but to each their own. who are we to judge.

14. theageofquarrel - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Yeah whatever Cload

15. steelcity333 - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Obviously as a Penguins fan I would love to say a “clever” joke about this but I won’t. It was a dumb, stupid, and idiotic thing to do but the young guy made a mistake. Don’t put your hands on an officer.

16. rushledger - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I really would be ok given Claud a laughable pass on this if Philadelphia ever gave Sid a pass on anything. I know they’re going to say things that are solely sad to get under their skin and penguins fans alike… Then you can’t help but remember this incident that really happened!

• theageofquarrel - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM

No way Brah,it’s what they do in the City of Brotherly Grab Ass

17. tell - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

If, at the first home game with the Flyers in Pittsburgh, there isn’t ONE person in an OPD uniform holding a sign saying, “Claude, why don’t you call anymore??” I will lose faith in my ‘Burgh brethren.

18. milkmemalkin - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Bet he won’t be laughing when the Pens sweep them again.

• sdave2944 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

when was the last time the Pens swept the Flyers. G might be a closet classic but Cyndy and the rest of the Pens havent swept the Flyers in a long time. The Pens cant enven beat the Flyers at home bone smuggler

• theageofquarrel - Jul 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Now,now Cload is now the bone smuggler in all of this.

• theageofquarrel - Jul 4, 2014 at 6:47 AM

2007 I believe

• killerpgh - Jul 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM

In 2007 the Penguins won all 8 games they played against the Flyers that season.

• dallassux - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Soooo your bringing up a sweep from 7 years ago? If that’s the case the flyers are 143-90 all time vs. Pitt.

19. strictlythedanks - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

In his next stupor, Claude will attempt to mount a mounted policeman

20. hotlanta57 - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

If y’all remember my last comment I was right! He thought the cop would like it and it was all a big misunderstanding!

21. stixzidinia - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Suuuuure it was humor. Not that there’s anything wrong with that………..

Oh no Ginger G, you’re not off the hook. You got 41 road games to look forward to. Now I actually have an excuse to go to a Panthers game here in SoFL. I’ll be right on the glass with a huge sign. Lebron thought he had it bad his first year on the road after the Decision. Not to mention the chirping on the ice.

22. bluesdroogie - Jul 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I know philly and pens fans hate each other, I would If I lived there, he is still a great player

23. blackheart78 - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM

As a Flyers fan I am really disappointed in Giroux. I understand he isn’t the only athlete in any sport that partied too hard but at some point you got to get your act together. You are the captain of your hockey team and you should be setting an example. Not embarrassing yourself and your team. This is what I believe the difference between someone like Chris Pronger and Claude Giroux. Pronger was not your buddy but players respected him and knew he was the captain. Giroux I feel most of the players look at like he is their buddy and not their captain. That has got to change. Maybe this will be a positive in the end.

24. 19inarow - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I’d actually really like to see a picture of this cop yo.

All those Pride parades I went to in the 90s (when I gave a crap about them), I saw lots of cops I wanted to goose, but never had the guts. But that really is the only day a guy could get away with that.

• killerpgh - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM

• theageofquarrel - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Man,if that’s his “girlfriend/beard” and she is 19 and he is 26,that’s pretty screwed up too.

25. gmen4trophies - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Hey Claude, you’re a funny guy . . . you’re also a pretty damn good hockey player but its going to take some time to live this down.Had

26. pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Don’t worry Giroux I’m sure you can grab more out in Love Park.

27. bleedrangerblue - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM

LOL. Flyers suck.

• sdave2944 - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Almost as bad as the Rangers. Rump Rangers, King Henrick hanging out with Justin Bieber, really. At least G was “drunk” the King was on camera with the little girl boy.

28. luvusa1 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Patthehockey statement is exactly spot on. We’ve all done stupid things that we regret later.

29. luvusa1 - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM

nice response bleedrangerblue…nothing between the ears jackass.

30. bleedrangerblue - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

@luvusa1. :) fact

31. bleedrangerblue - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Sorry if your hero grabs man ass. Not my fault.

32. bleedrangerblue - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Your team sucks. Face it

• President Charles Logan - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Bleedrangerblue… Ya’ll have 1 cup in 70 plus years and you’re telling another franchise they suck?? ….. fail on your part son

33. bleedrangerblue - Jul 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM

:).

34. luvusa1 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Thank you bleedrangerblue…you just validated the fact you’re sub-intelligent.

35. penguins87and71 - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Soooo….Was he drunk or not? If he was drunk, it would be more understandable, but if he was sober, then that’s a different story. He should know better, you are never allowed to lay your hands on law enforcement.

36. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jul 3, 2014 at 10:40 PM

This is at least the 3rd time an article has come out with him being drunk in it. Carter, Richards, Hartnell and now Giroux? I’m a Flyers fan, but I’d take the “C” away from him asap and would start taking offers for him.

• President Charles Logan - Jul 3, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I’m not sure why they even appointed him Captain anyways… he doesnt have the pedigree to be a Captain… he had that memorable game when ya’ll eliminated the Pens a couple years ago , maybe that was why.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jul 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

No one gives a crap about your opinion Chucky.

• President Charles Logan - Jul 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM

you obviously do ! seeing how you commented! .. happy 4th Broad!

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jul 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Nah, that was just the internet version of grab a$$.

37. luvusa1 - Jul 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Yes President and what say you of Brown your dirty captain? And he is not the reason, not even close as to why the Kings won the cup…please…

38. ducksk - Jul 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Drunk, ok, I forgive. A “star” and the captain of a team, needs to be above grabbing a cops behind repeatedly. And this behavior. With much that is given much is expected. You can be better than this. Have fun, get drunk, but don’t be a tool.

39. redrising16 - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

lets just say that pierre mcguire is a way bigger fan of claude girouxs game after this

Top 10 NHL Player Searches