Jul 3, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
In what amounted to a three-team trade, the rumors finally came true, as Sam Gagner was traded from the Edmonton Oilers to (eventually) the Arizona Coyotes. It’s actually kind of hard to believe Gagner is only 24, as it seems like he’s been criticized – and dangled in hypothetical trades – for years.
The Arizona Republic reports that those criticisms serve as a driving force for Gagner:
“It’s not about what people say or what I say about my game,” Gagner said. “It’s about going out there and proving it on a consistent basis. I’m excited to prove some people wrong next year, and I feel like I have a great opportunity to do that in Phoenix and it should be a lot of fun.”
Coyotes GM Don Maloney didn’t really spurn or encourage Gagner’s critics. If anything, he indicated that the franchise believes they (or maybe more precisely, renowned head coach Dave Tippett) can “fix” his problems.
“Really, if you ask me how is he on his defensive-zone coverage, don’t ask me,” Maloney said. “We got him for his offensive instincts and creativity. Players can learn to play better defense. It’s very difficult to learn to be more intelligent and more creative.”
After years of being lost in the shuffle with all the No. 1 picks in Edmonton, Gagner is now one of the most explosive offensive players on the Coyotes roster. From the sound of things, Arizona will give him every chance to prove his critics wrong next season.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)