Jul 3, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Back in 2010, Steve Downie delivered a questionable blow on Sidney Crosby. Now that they’re teammates with the Pittsburgh Penguins, he vows to make sure others don’t take liberties with the star forward.
The 27-year-old forward is a gritty player – especially for a solid scorer – yet he’s not often labeled as an “enforcer.” Then again, Downie poses a much better chance of being on the ice alongside top players like Crosby and Evgeni Malkin than a tough guy like departed defenseman Deryk Engelland.
The bigger problem might be Downie avoiding injury enough to protect Crosby and Malkin, though.
Downie was limited to 62 games in 2013-14, two in 2012-13, 75 in 2011-12 and so on. You can’t protect your teammates if you’re too injured to play, after all.
All that aside, it’s a nice low-risk pickup for the Penguins. Downie has a 22-goal season on his resume (along with multiple other double-digit scoring seasons) and can agitate/bring the snarl. Scoring some early points with potentially skeptical teammates with comments like these can only help him make a nice impression, whether he can back up those words or not.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)