Jul 2, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are ready to reacquaint themselves with the McGinn family. They employed Jamie McGinn until trading him to Colorado in 2011-12 and added his brother Tye McGinn via a trade that sent their 2015 third-round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
Tye McGinn, 23, still needs a new contract as a restricted free agent. He’s coming off a deal that paid him $775K per year. Cap Geek estimates that San Jose has about $14.32 million in cap space, so they should easily squeeze whatever his new deal would be under the ceiling.
The Flyers selected the big winger in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He scored five points in 18 games in both the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, so he’s been able to at least get his feet wet at the NHL level.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5