Jul 2, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are ready to reacquaint themselves with the McGinn family. They employed Jamie McGinn until trading him to Colorado in 2011-12 and added his brother Tye McGinn via a trade that sent their 2015 third-round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
Tye McGinn, 23, still needs a new contract as a restricted free agent. He’s coming off a deal that paid him $775K per year. Cap Geek estimates that San Jose has about $14.32 million in cap space, so they should easily squeeze whatever his new deal would be under the ceiling.
The Flyers selected the big winger in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He scored five points in 18 games in both the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, so he’s been able to at least get his feet wet at the NHL level.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)