Jul 2, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks are ready to reacquaint themselves with the McGinn family. They employed Jamie McGinn until trading him to Colorado in 2011-12 and added his brother Tye McGinn via a trade that sent their 2015 third-round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
Tye McGinn, 23, still needs a new contract as a restricted free agent. He’s coming off a deal that paid him $775K per year. Cap Geek estimates that San Jose has about $14.32 million in cap space, so they should easily squeeze whatever his new deal would be under the ceiling.
The Flyers selected the big winger in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He scored five points in 18 games in both the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, so he’s been able to at least get his feet wet at the NHL level.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36