Jul 2, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
Good news, Red Wings fans. We came up with a right-shooting defenseman that Detroit general manager Ken Holland could target in a trade.
Johnny Boychuk of the Boston Bruins!
Boychuk, 30, has one year remaining on his contract (cap hit $3.37 million) and, according to CSN New England, could be a trade chip for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to play in order to 1) clear cap space and 2) pare down Boston’s glut of blue-liners.
“I think we have a good group right now, and I include [David] Warsofsky because I believe he’s as close to an NHL player as you’re going to get from Providence. There are nine defensemen we have — NHL defensemen — so we can’t go into the year with nine NHL defensemen,” said Chiarelli. “But [Dennis] Seidenberg will be back healthy. [Adam] McQuaid will be back healthy. At some point, I have to do something there, but I’m in no hurry. It may be that we see how the preseason goes, with who’s mixing, who’s matching with whom.”
What Boychuk wouldn’t give the Red Wings is a right-shooting d-man who’s scored a ton of power-play goals in the NHL. In fact, he’s scored just one in 321 games. But Holland wanted to get “a right-shot defenseman or two” yesterday in free agency, and he was shut out completely. At this point, he’s a beggar who can’t really be a chooser.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)