Jul 2, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
Good news, Red Wings fans. We came up with a right-shooting defenseman that Detroit general manager Ken Holland could target in a trade.
Johnny Boychuk of the Boston Bruins!
Boychuk, 30, has one year remaining on his contract (cap hit $3.37 million) and, according to CSN New England, could be a trade chip for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to play in order to 1) clear cap space and 2) pare down Boston’s glut of blue-liners.
“I think we have a good group right now, and I include [David] Warsofsky because I believe he’s as close to an NHL player as you’re going to get from Providence. There are nine defensemen we have — NHL defensemen — so we can’t go into the year with nine NHL defensemen,” said Chiarelli. “But [Dennis] Seidenberg will be back healthy. [Adam] McQuaid will be back healthy. At some point, I have to do something there, but I’m in no hurry. It may be that we see how the preseason goes, with who’s mixing, who’s matching with whom.”
What Boychuk wouldn’t give the Red Wings is a right-shooting d-man who’s scored a ton of power-play goals in the NHL. In fact, he’s scored just one in 321 games. But Holland wanted to get “a right-shot defenseman or two” yesterday in free agency, and he was shut out completely. At this point, he’s a beggar who can’t really be a chooser.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)