Jul 2, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
Good news, Red Wings fans. We came up with a right-shooting defenseman that Detroit general manager Ken Holland could target in a trade.
Johnny Boychuk of the Boston Bruins!
Boychuk, 30, has one year remaining on his contract (cap hit $3.37 million) and, according to CSN New England, could be a trade chip for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to play in order to 1) clear cap space and 2) pare down Boston’s glut of blue-liners.
“I think we have a good group right now, and I include [David] Warsofsky because I believe he’s as close to an NHL player as you’re going to get from Providence. There are nine defensemen we have — NHL defensemen — so we can’t go into the year with nine NHL defensemen,” said Chiarelli. “But [Dennis] Seidenberg will be back healthy. [Adam] McQuaid will be back healthy. At some point, I have to do something there, but I’m in no hurry. It may be that we see how the preseason goes, with who’s mixing, who’s matching with whom.”
What Boychuk wouldn’t give the Red Wings is a right-shooting d-man who’s scored a ton of power-play goals in the NHL. In fact, he’s scored just one in 321 games. But Holland wanted to get “a right-shot defenseman or two” yesterday in free agency, and he was shut out completely. At this point, he’s a beggar who can’t really be a chooser.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5