Jul 2, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Longtime voice of the Sabres Rick Jeanneret has been diagnosed with throat cancer.
Here’s more, from the 71-year-old’s Tuesday telephone interview with the Buffalo News:
Jeanneret, who has been broadcasting Sabres games either on radio or television for 43 years, expects to have radiation treatment for six or seven weeks and possibly chemotherapy. His doctors in Hamilton, Ont., have told him that it is stage III cancer and that he has an 85 percent chance of recovery. He is meeting with them again Thursday.
“I would like to stress I have every intention of coming back,” said Jeanneret. “I have probably three months ahead of me that aren’t going to be fun. I know they aren’t going to be.”
He said his return to do play-by-play is “open-ended.”
“I consider this to be a bump in the road and am fully intending to come back and fulfill my obligations to the Sabres,” he said. “I know there is going to be a lot of concern. All I can do is ask everybody to please allow me and my family to keep this as private as possible. We will provide updates through the team.”
On Wednesday, the Sabres organization released the following statement:
The Buffalo Sabres are deeply saddened to learn of Rick Jeanneret’s cancer diagnosis. RJ has been a vital part of the Sabres family and the Buffalo community for 43 years and this news undoubtedly weighs heavily on everyone who has had the privilege of listening to his broadcasts through the years.
As he begins treatment in the coming weeks, we will continue to keep RJ, his wife, Sandra, his mother, Kay, his sister, Marcia, his children, Mark and Chris, his stepdaughter, Shelly, and his grandchildren in our thoughts. We wish RJ a full and speedy recovery and know his tenacity will serve him well in his fight. On behalf of the Jeanneret family, the Sabres are asking for respect of the family’s privacy as RJ undergoes treatment— any inquiries should be directed to Michael Gilbert (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The team has also set up a dedicated email address, GetWellRJ@sabres.com, for fans to send well-wishes and notes of encouragement.
One of the most recognizable voices in the NHL, Jeanneret’s calls are the stuff of legend. Here’s a sampling:
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)