Jul 2, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
According to a report from the Ottawa Sun, Claude Giroux spent Tuesday night in an Ottawa police cell following an altercation with local police.
Although few details were immediately available, a source said Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.
A witness and sources say the incident occurred outside The Great Canadian Cabin in the Byward Market club district.
Ottawa Police have refused any comment on the incident. Police said they cannot comment unless charges are laid, but several sources did confirm to the Sun Giroux spent the night in jail.
The Sun’s sources also claim Giroux, 26, was expected to be released Wednesday morning without any criminal charges. No word yet on if that’s happened.
Per the establishment’s website, the Great Canadian Cabin “has been a staple of Ottawa’s entertainment scene for over 17 years.” It’s Twitter bio includes what appears to be a reference to “NHL Guest Bartenders” and has a picture of what appears to be Giroux tending bar in May of ’12:
Giroux was born and is a native of Northern Ontario (Hearst, to be specific) but has reportedly lived in the Ottawa area for the last few years.
Update: From CSN Philly…
As of now NO charges against Giroux, Ottawa police spokesman Cst. Marc Soucy tells me. Wont confirm or deny the report
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
“I can’t confirm that he was in custody.” There could be internal records but they may never go public, he said, unless charges filed — Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
And one from the Flyers…
“We are aware of reports surrounding Claude Giroux. Until we have more information, we will withhold making any further comment.” -Hextall
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) July 2, 2014
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17