Jul 2, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
According to a report from the Ottawa Sun, Claude Giroux spent Tuesday night in an Ottawa police cell following an altercation with local police.
Although few details were immediately available, a source said Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.
A witness and sources say the incident occurred outside The Great Canadian Cabin in the Byward Market club district.
Ottawa Police have refused any comment on the incident. Police said they cannot comment unless charges are laid, but several sources did confirm to the Sun Giroux spent the night in jail.
The Sun’s sources also claim Giroux, 26, was expected to be released Wednesday morning without any criminal charges. No word yet on if that’s happened.
Per the establishment’s website, the Great Canadian Cabin “has been a staple of Ottawa’s entertainment scene for over 17 years.” It’s Twitter bio includes what appears to be a reference to “NHL Guest Bartenders” and has a picture of what appears to be Giroux tending bar in May of ’12:
Giroux was born and is a native of Northern Ontario (Hearst, to be specific) but has reportedly lived in the Ottawa area for the last few years.
Update: From CSN Philly…
As of now NO charges against Giroux, Ottawa police spokesman Cst. Marc Soucy tells me. Wont confirm or deny the report
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
“I can’t confirm that he was in custody.” There could be internal records but they may never go public, he said, unless charges filed — Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
And one from the Flyers…
“We are aware of reports surrounding Claude Giroux. Until we have more information, we will withhold making any further comment.” -Hextall
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) July 2, 2014
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)