Jul 2, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
According to a report from the Ottawa Sun, Claude Giroux spent Tuesday night in an Ottawa police cell following an altercation with local police.
Although few details were immediately available, a source said Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.
A witness and sources say the incident occurred outside The Great Canadian Cabin in the Byward Market club district.
Ottawa Police have refused any comment on the incident. Police said they cannot comment unless charges are laid, but several sources did confirm to the Sun Giroux spent the night in jail.
The Sun’s sources also claim Giroux, 26, was expected to be released Wednesday morning without any criminal charges. No word yet on if that’s happened.
Per the establishment’s website, the Great Canadian Cabin “has been a staple of Ottawa’s entertainment scene for over 17 years.” It’s Twitter bio includes what appears to be a reference to “NHL Guest Bartenders” and has a picture of what appears to be Giroux tending bar in May of ’12:
Giroux was born and is a native of Northern Ontario (Hearst, to be specific) but has reportedly lived in the Ottawa area for the last few years.
Update: From CSN Philly…
As of now NO charges against Giroux, Ottawa police spokesman Cst. Marc Soucy tells me. Wont confirm or deny the report
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
“I can’t confirm that he was in custody.” There could be internal records but they may never go public, he said, unless charges filed — Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 2, 2014
And one from the Flyers…
“We are aware of reports surrounding Claude Giroux. Until we have more information, we will withhold making any further comment.” -Hextall
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) July 2, 2014
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10