Jul 2, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Did we jinx them? Because…
Here’s where we wrote on Monday about Red Wings general manager Ken Holland needing to add a right-shooting defenseman.
And here’s where we wrote about Canucks general manager Jim Benning needing to add a top-six forward.
Yesterday, each GM struck out. And today, their options are severely limited.
Does Detroit make a push to get Tyler Myers out of Buffalo? There were rumors of that around the draft. Myers wouldn’t come cheap though; nor would he come without significant risk, given his uneven play with the Sabres. What else could Holland do? Well, when Matt Niskanen signed with Washington, we hypothesized he could call the Caps about Mike Green, but then Brian MacLellan said Green is still in his team’s plans.
“Still lots of players out there that could be good one-year bargains,” Holland said, per MLive. “I was hoping to get a right-shot defenseman or two. They signed elsewhere, that’s their prerogative.”
One UFA name we’ll throw out there: Sami Salo. He’s 39 and has always been injury-prone, but he’s still got a booming point shot and can make a good first pass.
Meanwhile, does Vancouver consider signing Radim Vrbata, i.e. the only 20-goal scorer that wasn’t picked up yesterday? Benning said late Tuesday the Canucks had thought about it, but at the same time didn’t sound too excited about it. Benning failed to convince Jarome Iginla to come to Vancouver.
Does Nashville consider signing Mikhail Grabovski? The 30-year-old is arguably the top center still available in free agency. So…yeah.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)