Jul 2, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Did we jinx them? Because…
Here’s where we wrote on Monday about Red Wings general manager Ken Holland needing to add a right-shooting defenseman.
And here’s where we wrote about Canucks general manager Jim Benning needing to add a top-six forward.
Yesterday, each GM struck out. And today, their options are severely limited.
Does Detroit make a push to get Tyler Myers out of Buffalo? There were rumors of that around the draft. Myers wouldn’t come cheap though; nor would he come without significant risk, given his uneven play with the Sabres. What else could Holland do? Well, when Matt Niskanen signed with Washington, we hypothesized he could call the Caps about Mike Green, but then Brian MacLellan said Green is still in his team’s plans.
“Still lots of players out there that could be good one-year bargains,” Holland said, per MLive. “I was hoping to get a right-shot defenseman or two. They signed elsewhere, that’s their prerogative.”
One UFA name we’ll throw out there: Sami Salo. He’s 39 and has always been injury-prone, but he’s still got a booming point shot and can make a good first pass.
Meanwhile, does Vancouver consider signing Radim Vrbata, i.e. the only 20-goal scorer that wasn’t picked up yesterday? Benning said late Tuesday the Canucks had thought about it, but at the same time didn’t sound too excited about it. Benning failed to convince Jarome Iginla to come to Vancouver.
Does Nashville consider signing Mikhail Grabovski? The 30-year-old is arguably the top center still available in free agency. So…yeah.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)