Jul 2, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Did we jinx them? Because…
Here’s where we wrote on Monday about Red Wings general manager Ken Holland needing to add a right-shooting defenseman.
And here’s where we wrote about Canucks general manager Jim Benning needing to add a top-six forward.
Yesterday, each GM struck out. And today, their options are severely limited.
Does Detroit make a push to get Tyler Myers out of Buffalo? There were rumors of that around the draft. Myers wouldn’t come cheap though; nor would he come without significant risk, given his uneven play with the Sabres. What else could Holland do? Well, when Matt Niskanen signed with Washington, we hypothesized he could call the Caps about Mike Green, but then Brian MacLellan said Green is still in his team’s plans.
“Still lots of players out there that could be good one-year bargains,” Holland said, per MLive. “I was hoping to get a right-shot defenseman or two. They signed elsewhere, that’s their prerogative.”
One UFA name we’ll throw out there: Sami Salo. He’s 39 and has always been injury-prone, but he’s still got a booming point shot and can make a good first pass.
Meanwhile, does Vancouver consider signing Radim Vrbata, i.e. the only 20-goal scorer that wasn’t picked up yesterday? Benning said late Tuesday the Canucks had thought about it, but at the same time didn’t sound too excited about it. Benning failed to convince Jarome Iginla to come to Vancouver.
Does Nashville consider signing Mikhail Grabovski? The 30-year-old is arguably the top center still available in free agency. So…yeah.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 4
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)