Jul 2, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Ray Bourque never played for the Rangers, but today he could be their biggest fan.
The Hall-of-Famer saw his oldest son, Chris, sign with the Blueshirts today after splitting last season between the KHL and Swiss League.
The 33rd overall pick at the 2004 Entry Draft, Chris — who’s appeared in 51 NHL games in his career — will now join younger brother Ryan, taken 80th overall by the Rangers in 2009 and currently with the team’s AHL affiliate in Hartford.
Though he hasn’t spent much time in the NHL, Chris has made several headlines — most of which came during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, when he signed with and made the Bruins out of training camp. Given his dad’s standing in the Boston organization, the story picked up a lot of steam…but the eldest Bourque didn’t, appearing in just 18 games before being shipped off to AHL Providence.
As for the younger Bourque, Ryan just wrapped his third and most successful campaign in the American League, scoring a career-high 21 goals and 37 points for the Wolf Pack last season.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)