Jul 2, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with goalie Michael Hutchinson on a two-year contract worth $1.15 million.
Hutchinson, 24, made three starts for the Jets in 2013-14, allowing just five goals on 88 shots for a save percentage of .943. In fact, the only game he started that Winnipeg lost was his first NHL game, a 1-0 defeat to Minnesota on Apr. 7 in which he was named second star. Then, three days later, he got his first NHL victory and was named first star in a 2-1 shootout win over Boston.
“He was outstanding,” Blake Wheeler said after the Bruins game. “He really kept us in the game. They had some point-blank opportunities to add to their lead, and he kind of put us away and he gave us an opportunity to tie the game.”
Hutchinson also put up impressive numbers in the AHL with the St. John’s IceCaps, who went all the way to the Calder Cup finals.
Per Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, Hutchinson’s deal is a two-way contract in the first year and one way in the second.
It’s not clear if the Jets intend to sign or acquire another goalie to back up much-maligned Ondrej Pavelec next season.
Al Montoya backed up Pavelec last season, but he signed with Florida yesterday.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)