Jul 2, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with goalie Michael Hutchinson on a two-year contract worth $1.15 million.
Hutchinson, 24, made three starts for the Jets in 2013-14, allowing just five goals on 88 shots for a save percentage of .943. In fact, the only game he started that Winnipeg lost was his first NHL game, a 1-0 defeat to Minnesota on Apr. 7 in which he was named second star. Then, three days later, he got his first NHL victory and was named first star in a 2-1 shootout win over Boston.
“He was outstanding,” Blake Wheeler said after the Bruins game. “He really kept us in the game. They had some point-blank opportunities to add to their lead, and he kind of put us away and he gave us an opportunity to tie the game.”
Hutchinson also put up impressive numbers in the AHL with the St. John’s IceCaps, who went all the way to the Calder Cup finals.
Per Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, Hutchinson’s deal is a two-way contract in the first year and one way in the second.
It’s not clear if the Jets intend to sign or acquire another goalie to back up much-maligned Ondrej Pavelec next season.
Al Montoya backed up Pavelec last season, but he signed with Florida yesterday.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 15
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 76
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)