Jul 2, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with goalie Michael Hutchinson on a two-year contract worth $1.15 million.
Hutchinson, 24, made three starts for the Jets in 2013-14, allowing just five goals on 88 shots for a save percentage of .943. In fact, the only game he started that Winnipeg lost was his first NHL game, a 1-0 defeat to Minnesota on Apr. 7 in which he was named second star. Then, three days later, he got his first NHL victory and was named first star in a 2-1 shootout win over Boston.
“He was outstanding,” Blake Wheeler said after the Bruins game. “He really kept us in the game. They had some point-blank opportunities to add to their lead, and he kind of put us away and he gave us an opportunity to tie the game.”
Hutchinson also put up impressive numbers in the AHL with the St. John’s IceCaps, who went all the way to the Calder Cup finals.
Per Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, Hutchinson’s deal is a two-way contract in the first year and one way in the second.
It’s not clear if the Jets intend to sign or acquire another goalie to back up much-maligned Ondrej Pavelec next season.
Al Montoya backed up Pavelec last season, but he signed with Florida yesterday.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)