Jul 2, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to terms with goalie Michael Hutchinson on a two-year contract worth $1.15 million.
Hutchinson, 24, made three starts for the Jets in 2013-14, allowing just five goals on 88 shots for a save percentage of .943. In fact, the only game he started that Winnipeg lost was his first NHL game, a 1-0 defeat to Minnesota on Apr. 7 in which he was named second star. Then, three days later, he got his first NHL victory and was named first star in a 2-1 shootout win over Boston.
“He was outstanding,” Blake Wheeler said after the Bruins game. “He really kept us in the game. They had some point-blank opportunities to add to their lead, and he kind of put us away and he gave us an opportunity to tie the game.”
Hutchinson also put up impressive numbers in the AHL with the St. John’s IceCaps, who went all the way to the Calder Cup finals.
Per Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, Hutchinson’s deal is a two-way contract in the first year and one way in the second.
It’s not clear if the Jets intend to sign or acquire another goalie to back up much-maligned Ondrej Pavelec next season.
Al Montoya backed up Pavelec last season, but he signed with Florida yesterday.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)