Jul 2, 2014, 7:40 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes signed defensive center Jay McClement to a one-year, $1 million contract on Wednesday.
They made no mistake about it: they’re getting him to do the dirty work, like winning faceoffs:
“Jay is a veteran centerman who is proficient in the faceoff circle,” Hurricanes GM Ron Francis said. “He’ll also provide elements of consistency and leadership for our club.”
In a lot of ways, the 31-year-old center is basically a replacement for Manny Malhotra. Both are strong in the dot and tend to start the majority of their shifts in the defensive zone, with mixed results.
McClement won the 26th-most faceoffs in the NHL last season, going 676-584 for a very nice 53.4 percent success rate. Malhotra won 59.4 percent, though he took fewer faceoffs and carries some obvious injury risks.
It’s not the type of move that will make or break Carolina’s season, obviously. Guys like these are signed with the hopes of soaking up difficult assignments and limiting the damage. The ‘Canes are banking on McClement accomplishing that next season.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)