Jul 2, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Here are a few extra contract details regarding the 33-year-old winger’s deal:
Vrbata $4M salary and $1M bonus in each of his two seasons….limited NTC.—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) July 03, 2014
Vrbata is far from a household name, yet he’s developed into a nice scoring winger during his days with the then-Phoenix Coyotes.
He tends to hover around the 20-27 goal area, although he peaked with the Coyotes back in the 2011-12 season when he set career-highs in goals (35) and points (62). Some like to joke that h e just plays better in the desert because he sandwiched an unsuccessful run with the Tampa Bay Lightning between successful first (2007-08) and second seasons with the Coyotes.
FINISHING THE CYCLE
The most exciting prospect is to imagine how he might fit in with the Sedin twins. With all due respect to the players he skated with in Glendale, none can get him the biscuit like Henrik and Daniel Sedin can, especially if last season’s struggles were an aberration.
With the possible exception of Alex Burrows, Vrbata is likely the best finisher the Sedins could skate with on regular even-strength shifts. The fact that Vrbata boasts a right-handed shot can’t hurt matters for the two left-handed twins, either.
TROUBLE FOR ARIZONA?
With the buyout of Mike Ribeiro and departure of Vrbata in mind, the Arizona Coyotes might struggle to score goals next season. Still, in this case, the demands were just too rich for the Coyotes’ blood:
The Canucks are primed to be a very different team in 2014-15, but this could very well help them to find a nice bit of balance on offense.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center
Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
It’s that time of the year.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)