Jul 2, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Oh, this should be good.
Downie, 27, struggled through last season and missed a number of games due to a concussion suffered in a fight with Washington’s Aaron Volpatti. Acquired by Philadelphia from Colorado early in the year, Downie had just three goals and 17 points in 51 games for the Flyers — this after a stellar six-points-in-11-games start with the Avs — and was shut down on Apr. 10, failing to appear in any of Philly’s opening-round playoff games against the Rangers.
When healthy, Downie can be an effective player, something he showed in Tampa Bay during the 2009-10 campaign when he had 22 goals and 46 points in 79 games…along with 208 penalty minutes, third-most in the NHL. That last statistic is telling, though, as a penchant for taking undisciplined penalties dogged Downie in his second go-round with the Flyers.
In Pittsburgh, Downie is likely play in the bottom-six forward group, one that new GM Jim Rutherford has made several additions to since taking the helm from Ray Shero. Nick Spaling was acquired in the James Neal trade, and yesterday the club ainked former Blue Jacket Blake Comeau to a one-year deal as free agency opened.
Rutherford also resigned depth center Marcel Goc, acquired from Florida at last year’s trade deadline.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 8
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 38
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)