Jul 1, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
Michalek, 29, rebounded from a serious knee injury to appear in all 82 games last year and steadily improve as the season progressed, finishing with 17 goals and 39 points. The Czech winger played some of his best hockey down the stretch, skating on a line with Spezza and Ales Hemsky while scoring 12 points over the final 19 games.
Of course, Spezza and Hemsky are no longer with the club.
Michalek just wrapped the final of a six-year, $26 million deal with a $4.33M annual cap hit, so he now gets half the term and slightly less money per year. That said, it’s worth noting he got a better (reported) deal than the one Ottawa offered Hemsky, believed to be a three-year, $10 million pact.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)