Jul 1, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
By playing to the strengths of young forwards Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, the Dallas Stars were already a fun team to watch in 2013-14. Imagine how thrilling that club can be by adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to the mix?
Let’s just say, it would be pretty sad if such an exciting group played to empty crowds in Dallas. GM Jim Nill believes that they’ve gotten the sometimes-fickle market’s attention with these moves.
“Well, I think we’re putting hockey back on the map here. I think Dallas is a great hockey town,” Nill said. “You look back to when they were in their heydays, when they won the Cup and that Dallas was as good a city anywhere in the world for hockey, and I think we’re getting back there … I think there are going to be some special things happening here.”
Take a look at the Stars’ attendance numbers since the 2004-05 season was canceled, according to hockeydb.com:
Perhaps the 2014 postseason run already heightened expectations, but if nothing else, it sounds like Nill & Co. are being aggressive enough to make big waves. Ales Hemsky’s explanation for joining the Stars says a lot:
“Yeah, we talked a lot the last month,” Hemsky told Defending Big D. “They showed the most interest. They have a great team with Jamie Benn and Seguin and now adding Jason Spezza, it’s a great fit for me. Finally I can enjoy hockey again and that’s a great city too. I’m really excited.”
Stars fans should share that excitement.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)