Jul 1, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
By playing to the strengths of young forwards Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, the Dallas Stars were already a fun team to watch in 2013-14. Imagine how thrilling that club can be by adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to the mix?
Let’s just say, it would be pretty sad if such an exciting group played to empty crowds in Dallas. GM Jim Nill believes that they’ve gotten the sometimes-fickle market’s attention with these moves.
“Well, I think we’re putting hockey back on the map here. I think Dallas is a great hockey town,” Nill said. “You look back to when they were in their heydays, when they won the Cup and that Dallas was as good a city anywhere in the world for hockey, and I think we’re getting back there … I think there are going to be some special things happening here.”
Take a look at the Stars’ attendance numbers since the 2004-05 season was canceled, according to hockeydb.com:
Perhaps the 2014 postseason run already heightened expectations, but if nothing else, it sounds like Nill & Co. are being aggressive enough to make big waves. Ales Hemsky’s explanation for joining the Stars says a lot:
“Yeah, we talked a lot the last month,” Hemsky told Defending Big D. “They showed the most interest. They have a great team with Jamie Benn and Seguin and now adding Jason Spezza, it’s a great fit for me. Finally I can enjoy hockey again and that’s a great city too. I’m really excited.”
Stars fans should share that excitement.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)