Jul 1, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
By playing to the strengths of young forwards Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, the Dallas Stars were already a fun team to watch in 2013-14. Imagine how thrilling that club can be by adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to the mix?
Let’s just say, it would be pretty sad if such an exciting group played to empty crowds in Dallas. GM Jim Nill believes that they’ve gotten the sometimes-fickle market’s attention with these moves.
“Well, I think we’re putting hockey back on the map here. I think Dallas is a great hockey town,” Nill said. “You look back to when they were in their heydays, when they won the Cup and that Dallas was as good a city anywhere in the world for hockey, and I think we’re getting back there … I think there are going to be some special things happening here.”
Take a look at the Stars’ attendance numbers since the 2004-05 season was canceled, according to hockeydb.com:
Perhaps the 2014 postseason run already heightened expectations, but if nothing else, it sounds like Nill & Co. are being aggressive enough to make big waves. Ales Hemsky’s explanation for joining the Stars says a lot:
“Yeah, we talked a lot the last month,” Hemsky told Defending Big D. “They showed the most interest. They have a great team with Jamie Benn and Seguin and now adding Jason Spezza, it’s a great fit for me. Finally I can enjoy hockey again and that’s a great city too. I’m really excited.”
Stars fans should share that excitement.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)