Jul 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continued to add veterans on the opening day of free agency, agreeing to a one-year deal with ex-Bruins rearguard Andrej Meszaros.
Meszaros to Buffalo. 1 yr, just over $4 mil.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 1, 2014
Meszaros, 28, split last year between the Flyers and Bruins, combining for seven goals and 22 points in 52 games. A routine healthy scratch under Craig Berube in Philly, Meszaros was more of a fit in Boston…even though he only played in four of the club’s 12 postseason games.
A good offensive defenseman — he scored a career-high 39 points in his rookie campaign and finished seventh in Calder voting — Meszaros struggles on the defensive side of things and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a single season since 2010-11. It’s safe to assume part of his relatively large salary (it’s essentially the same deal Christian Ehrhoff signed in Pittsburgh) was to get Buffalo to the cap floor.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)