Jul 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continued to add veterans on the opening day of free agency, agreeing to a one-year deal with ex-Bruins rearguard Andrej Meszaros.
Meszaros to Buffalo. 1 yr, just over $4 mil.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 1, 2014
Meszaros, 28, split last year between the Flyers and Bruins, combining for seven goals and 22 points in 52 games. A routine healthy scratch under Craig Berube in Philly, Meszaros was more of a fit in Boston…even though he only played in four of the club’s 12 postseason games.
A good offensive defenseman — he scored a career-high 39 points in his rookie campaign and finished seventh in Calder voting — Meszaros struggles on the defensive side of things and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a single season since 2010-11. It’s safe to assume part of his relatively large salary (it’s essentially the same deal Christian Ehrhoff signed in Pittsburgh) was to get Buffalo to the cap floor.
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)