Jul 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continued to add veterans on the opening day of free agency, agreeing to a one-year deal with ex-Bruins rearguard Andrej Meszaros.
Meszaros to Buffalo. 1 yr, just over $4 mil.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 1, 2014
Meszaros, 28, split last year between the Flyers and Bruins, combining for seven goals and 22 points in 52 games. A routine healthy scratch under Craig Berube in Philly, Meszaros was more of a fit in Boston…even though he only played in four of the club’s 12 postseason games.
A good offensive defenseman — he scored a career-high 39 points in his rookie campaign and finished seventh in Calder voting — Meszaros struggles on the defensive side of things and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a single season since 2010-11. It’s safe to assume part of his relatively large salary (it’s essentially the same deal Christian Ehrhoff signed in Pittsburgh) was to get Buffalo to the cap floor.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 5
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)