Jul 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continued to add veterans on the opening day of free agency, agreeing to a one-year deal with ex-Bruins rearguard Andrej Meszaros.
Meszaros to Buffalo. 1 yr, just over $4 mil.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 1, 2014
Meszaros, 28, split last year between the Flyers and Bruins, combining for seven goals and 22 points in 52 games. A routine healthy scratch under Craig Berube in Philly, Meszaros was more of a fit in Boston…even though he only played in four of the club’s 12 postseason games.
A good offensive defenseman — he scored a career-high 39 points in his rookie campaign and finished seventh in Calder voting — Meszaros struggles on the defensive side of things and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a single season since 2010-11. It’s safe to assume part of his relatively large salary (it’s essentially the same deal Christian Ehrhoff signed in Pittsburgh) was to get Buffalo to the cap floor.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5