Jul 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres continued to add veterans on the opening day of free agency, agreeing to a one-year deal with ex-Bruins rearguard Andrej Meszaros.
Meszaros to Buffalo. 1 yr, just over $4 mil.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) July 1, 2014
Meszaros, 28, split last year between the Flyers and Bruins, combining for seven goals and 22 points in 52 games. A routine healthy scratch under Craig Berube in Philly, Meszaros was more of a fit in Boston…even though he only played in four of the club’s 12 postseason games.
A good offensive defenseman — he scored a career-high 39 points in his rookie campaign and finished seventh in Calder voting — Meszaros struggles on the defensive side of things and hasn’t played more than 62 games in a single season since 2010-11. It’s safe to assume part of his relatively large salary (it’s essentially the same deal Christian Ehrhoff signed in Pittsburgh) was to get Buffalo to the cap floor.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)