Jul 1, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
NHL teams are free to sign unrestricted free agents at noon, and the Penguins intend on being busy. Among their primary targets is right wing Nikolai Kulemin.
General manager Jim Rutherford — along with numerous people on his staff — possesses a high opinion of the 27-year-old forward.
Kumelin’s agent, Gary Greenstin, confirmed Monday that he held numerous conversations with Rutherford.
“Obviously the Penguins are very interested,” Greenstin said. “But other teams like him, too.”
It’s appeared for some time that the 27-year-old Kulemin, who has been with the Toronto Maple Leafs since the 2008-09 season, will go on the open market.
He wasn’t happy with his role with the Leafs over the last season.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)