Jul 1, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
NHL teams are free to sign unrestricted free agents at noon, and the Penguins intend on being busy. Among their primary targets is right wing Nikolai Kulemin.
General manager Jim Rutherford — along with numerous people on his staff — possesses a high opinion of the 27-year-old forward.
Kumelin’s agent, Gary Greenstin, confirmed Monday that he held numerous conversations with Rutherford.
“Obviously the Penguins are very interested,” Greenstin said. “But other teams like him, too.”
It’s appeared for some time that the 27-year-old Kulemin, who has been with the Toronto Maple Leafs since the 2008-09 season, will go on the open market.
He wasn’t happy with his role with the Leafs over the last season.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9