Jul 1, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
One of the sneakier pickups during free agency this summer could be Arizona Coyotes winger Radim Vrbata.
According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, five or six teams are hot after the 33-year-old Czech including the Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Montreal Canadiens, and San Jose Sharks.
Seeing the Lightning on that list is curious because he spent 18 unspectacular games of the 2008-09 season with them after signing there as a free agent on July 1, 2008. A year later, he was dealt back to the Coyotes where he instantly recaptured his ability to score goals.
Vrbata had 20 goals and 51 points for the Coyotes last season. His point total was good for second on the team behind defenseman Keith Yandle. It was the right time for him to hit free agency as he could strike it big with a dearth of quality goal scorers available.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 9
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 14
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 121
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (121)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)