Jul 1, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
One of the sneakier pickups during free agency this summer could be Arizona Coyotes winger Radim Vrbata.
According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, five or six teams are hot after the 33-year-old Czech including the Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Montreal Canadiens, and San Jose Sharks.
Seeing the Lightning on that list is curious because he spent 18 unspectacular games of the 2008-09 season with them after signing there as a free agent on July 1, 2008. A year later, he was dealt back to the Coyotes where he instantly recaptured his ability to score goals.
Vrbata had 20 goals and 51 points for the Coyotes last season. His point total was good for second on the team behind defenseman Keith Yandle. It was the right time for him to hit free agency as he could strike it big with a dearth of quality goal scorers available.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (77)