Jul 1, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
On the first day of free agency, the Detroit Red Wings are valuing familiarity over flash. Most notably, they decided to bring back defenseman Kyle Quincey on a two-year deal worth $8.5 million (terms via TSN’s Bob McKenzie).
The 28-year-old seems to be a fixture in Detroit, even if it’s sometimes difficult to gauge how enthusiastic that connection might be. He began his career playing a handful of games with Detroit between 2005-06 and 2007-08 before really catching on with the Los Angeles Kings and Colorado Avalanche. He returned to “Hockeytown” in 2011-12 and appears primed to stick around a bit longer.
This deal is quite similar to the last one he signed with the Red Wings. Quincey signed for two-years, $7.55 million last time around.
Quincey is the third highest-paid Red Wings defenseman and probably earns that description. He’s not the type who tends to put up spectacular numbers, at least with his possession numbers dipping a bit recently.
He’s a player with decent (if fading) offensive potential and a decent amount of snarl. In other words, not the kind of re-signing that will get many people excited, but likely a pretty wise move nonetheless.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)