Jul 1, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
On the first day of free agency, the Detroit Red Wings are valuing familiarity over flash. Most notably, they decided to bring back defenseman Kyle Quincey on a two-year deal worth $8.5 million (terms via TSN’s Bob McKenzie).
The 28-year-old seems to be a fixture in Detroit, even if it’s sometimes difficult to gauge how enthusiastic that connection might be. He began his career playing a handful of games with Detroit between 2005-06 and 2007-08 before really catching on with the Los Angeles Kings and Colorado Avalanche. He returned to “Hockeytown” in 2011-12 and appears primed to stick around a bit longer.
This deal is quite similar to the last one he signed with the Red Wings. Quincey signed for two-years, $7.55 million last time around.
Quincey is the third highest-paid Red Wings defenseman and probably earns that description. He’s not the type who tends to put up spectacular numbers, at least with his possession numbers dipping a bit recently.
He’s a player with decent (if fading) offensive potential and a decent amount of snarl. In other words, not the kind of re-signing that will get many people excited, but likely a pretty wise move nonetheless.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)