Jul 1, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
On the first day of free agency, the Detroit Red Wings are valuing familiarity over flash. Most notably, they decided to bring back defenseman Kyle Quincey on a two-year deal worth $8.5 million (terms via TSN’s Bob McKenzie).
The 28-year-old seems to be a fixture in Detroit, even if it’s sometimes difficult to gauge how enthusiastic that connection might be. He began his career playing a handful of games with Detroit between 2005-06 and 2007-08 before really catching on with the Los Angeles Kings and Colorado Avalanche. He returned to “Hockeytown” in 2011-12 and appears primed to stick around a bit longer.
This deal is quite similar to the last one he signed with the Red Wings. Quincey signed for two-years, $7.55 million last time around.
Quincey is the third highest-paid Red Wings defenseman and probably earns that description. He’s not the type who tends to put up spectacular numbers, at least with his possession numbers dipping a bit recently.
He’s a player with decent (if fading) offensive potential and a decent amount of snarl. In other words, not the kind of re-signing that will get many people excited, but likely a pretty wise move nonetheless.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 28
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 10
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 110
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (111)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)