Jul 1, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins scored the first major coup of free agency on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with defenseman Christian Ehrhoff on a one-year, $4 million deal.
The contract, first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, is a surprise on a number of fronts. One, it’s a short-term deal, a surprising move from the Ehrhoff camp considering he was arguably the top UFA d-man available and probably had his choice of suitors. Two, there hadn’t been many Pittsburgh ties to Ehrhoff after he was bought out of his 10-year, $40 million deal by Buffalo on Sunday.
Ehrhoff added that he was “sad it didn’t work out in Buffalo,” but that he “wasn’t happy with the whole rebuild” that the Sabres started.
With the move, Pittsburgh now projects to ice a top-six defense of Ehrhoff, Kris Letang, Paul Martin, Olli Maatta, Rob Scuderi and Roberto Bortuzzo/Simon Despres for next season. It remains to be seen how touted d-man prospects Derrick Pouliot and Brian Dumoulin will fit into the mix, though they’ll likely be given a chance to compete for a gig in camp.
As for Ehrhoff, he will bring a further offensive flair to the blueline and possibly replace the production Matt Niskanen had in ’13-14. The German rearguard had 33 points in 79 games for the Sabres last season and is only a few years removed from the career-high 50 he put up with Vancouver in 2010-11.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)