Jul 1, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins scored the first major coup of free agency on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with defenseman Christian Ehrhoff on a one-year, $4 million deal.
The contract, first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, is a surprise on a number of fronts. One, it’s a short-term deal, a surprising move from the Ehrhoff camp considering he was arguably the top UFA d-man available and probably had his choice of suitors. Two, there hadn’t been many Pittsburgh ties to Ehrhoff after he was bought out of his 10-year, $40 million deal by Buffalo on Sunday.
Ehrhoff added that he was “sad it didn’t work out in Buffalo,” but that he “wasn’t happy with the whole rebuild” that the Sabres started.
With the move, Pittsburgh now projects to ice a top-six defense of Ehrhoff, Kris Letang, Paul Martin, Olli Maatta, Rob Scuderi and Roberto Bortuzzo/Simon Despres for next season. It remains to be seen how touted d-man prospects Derrick Pouliot and Brian Dumoulin will fit into the mix, though they’ll likely be given a chance to compete for a gig in camp.
As for Ehrhoff, he will bring a further offensive flair to the blueline and possibly replace the production Matt Niskanen had in ’13-14. The German rearguard had 33 points in 79 games for the Sabres last season and is only a few years removed from the career-high 50 he put up with Vancouver in 2010-11.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)