Jul 1, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goalie Thomas Greiss to a one-year, $1 million contract.
Greiss is not a big-name goaltender, but he’s put up impressive numbers in limited appearances as an NHL back-up. The 28-year-old has a career save percentage of .915 in 69 appearances with San Jose and Phoenix, and he went 10-8-5 with a .920 save percentage last year with the Coyotes.
Which, of course, brings us to Marc-Andre Fleury, the much-maligned 29-year-old who has one year remaining on his own contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Barring a trade, Fleury will likely go into the season as Pittsburgh’s No. 1; however, it’s worth noting that he’s lost his starter’s job before, to Tomas Vokoun in the 2013 postseason. Not to mention, the Penguins have a new coach in Mike Johnston, and there is a significant level of ownership dissatisfaction with how the team has performed in the playoffs since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009.
At the very least, if it’s a duo of Fleury and Greiss, the latter should push the former.
Greiss said opportunity to play late in the season when Smith went down helped him show what he could do. Overall, enjoyed his time in AZ.—
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) July 01, 2014
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)