Jul 1, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goalie Thomas Greiss to a one-year, $1 million contract.
Greiss is not a big-name goaltender, but he’s put up impressive numbers in limited appearances as an NHL back-up. The 28-year-old has a career save percentage of .915 in 69 appearances with San Jose and Phoenix, and he went 10-8-5 with a .920 save percentage last year with the Coyotes.
Which, of course, brings us to Marc-Andre Fleury, the much-maligned 29-year-old who has one year remaining on his own contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Barring a trade, Fleury will likely go into the season as Pittsburgh’s No. 1; however, it’s worth noting that he’s lost his starter’s job before, to Tomas Vokoun in the 2013 postseason. Not to mention, the Penguins have a new coach in Mike Johnston, and there is a significant level of ownership dissatisfaction with how the team has performed in the playoffs since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009.
At the very least, if it’s a duo of Fleury and Greiss, the latter should push the former.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 9
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 26
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)