Jul 1, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have found their No. 2 goalie for next season, agreeing to terms with veteran netminder Evgeni Nabokov on a one-year deal.
The Lightning, who didn’t qualify last year’s backup — RFA Anders Lindback, now with Dallas — will go into next year with a proven NHLer behind No. 1 Ben Bishop, allowing young prospects Kristers Gudlevskis and Andrei Vasilevski to hone their craft in AHL Syracuse.
Nabokov, who turns 39 in July, spent last year on Long Island, where he posted a 15-14-8 record with a .905 save percentage and 2.74 GAA. Though his time with the Islanders was occasionally acrimonious, “Nabby” did provide enough quality goaltending to send New York to the playoffs in 2013, going 23-11-7 with a .910 save percentage and 2.50 GAA.
Per The Hockey News, Nabokov’s deal is for $1.55 million.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)